F6 Amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
May be a little off topic.....

but it shows the material Nelson is working with..... in his "simple" circuits...

left his three FQA19N20c :cool: and right my stock of FQA19N20c....:mad:

do you see the difference.....:D ?

Attachments

• Pass Matching Quality.JPG
    Pass Matching Quality.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 611
Here is my finished F6.

First of all I have to thank Gerd (generg) for measuring and adjusting the amp!
Without his knowledge and equipment the amp wouldn´t sound on this high level.
Unfortunately the psu caps were delivered in a bad condition.
That´s the reason for the grooves on top of them.

Regards Andreas.

Attachments

• Aufbau 10.jpg
    Aufbau 10.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Aufbau 22.jpg
    Aufbau 22.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 469
  • Aufbau Innen 03.jpg
    Aufbau Innen 03.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 465
  • Aufbau Innen 04.jpg
    Aufbau Innen 04.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 459
When I start to build an amp I never expect the best sounding amp ever.
It´s always a nice experience.
It depends on the whole setup. I combined the F6 at this moment with Ono, Aleph P 1.7 and speaker with a ceramic Tweeter and Midrange.
The F6 sound very detailed but never harsh. I´m surprised of the punch of the bass and it gives a lot of room informations.
In comparison to my Aleph J the AJ sounds much warmer.
The F6 is for sure not everybodies darling.
But it´s always hard to describe a sound ...

Next I will connect the F6 to vintage speaker (University 312) but this takes time.

The black button is a turnable switch.

Attachments

• Aufbau 25.jpg
    Aufbau 25.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 557

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No guide yet. Might not be ever... It's designed around unobtanium... But you can use IRF transistors as decent substitute. The character of this amp is going to be imparted strongly by the transformer, so a Mosfet F6 is still an F6.

Look at Tea-Bag's blog for info on his excellent boards. It's as close to a guide as there is currently.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/tea-bag/941-f6-clone-convertible-pcb-blog.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/tea-bag/941-f6-clone-convertible-pcb-blog.html

Guys if we were to add a volume control and work it as an integrated amp, what would be a good idea?
Just a pot in the front?
Is the input buffer enough? Do we need another one before the pot? What pot value? Somehting like 25k?

attachment.php

Attachments

• f6.JPG
    f6.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 921
Last edited:
Sometimes a solution without a (cap-) pre lacks room and colors, but they deliver often more precision of sound, but the narrower stage.

In case of F6 with its huge stage and as Jon ver Halen said "much harmonics" I have nearly no doubt it will work fine.

I know that a plain pot can create problems with driving the cable after it and may have problems being driven by the source.
That is why I am asking, what is your opinion on which would be a rather more optimal configuration?
My thoughts were to use something like a B1 or an additional push pull pair of jefts in front of the pot, but now that I think about it, I am currently using a DCB1 with a pot in its entrance and it s absolutely awesome.
so my guess is that a pot as near as possible to the input jfets should cause no significant issues... But I guess an additional buffer would make it an easier load for the source... but it would also add more jfet character to entire thing.... pfffff... decisions....

Last edited: