F6 Amplifier

you should try that with two already made pcbs

matter of one wire

or not even that ; careful measurement will only tell is it any gain in common feedback arrangement ( for two halves of balanced ) vs. regular fdbck against real gnd scheme

think of function of McMilan resistors ; in some balanced configurations/parts values combos they're more effective , in some are almost zilch effective

Have them sitting right here waiting on parts. Doesnt value play into this dance.

Last edited:
So I have a question before bed. If error current is introduced into source of complimentary source followers, is it doing any good, as the signal is not taken from the drain? It would seem that any correction that might be gained will run smack into the "corrected signal"
Mcmillan resistor is not well explained in my findings. It seems to be a point of control over the reaction of the two halves, increasing or diminishing the effectiveness of the error current.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So I have a question before bed. If error current is introduced into source of complimentary source followers, is it doing any good, as the signal is not taken from the drain? It would seem that any correction that might be gained will run smack into the "corrected signal"
Mcmillan resistor is not well explained in my findings. It seems to be a point of control over the reaction of the two halves, increasing or diminishing the effectiveness of the error current.

as I already wrote to you - some of these things are hard for me to shape in writing ; however - signal taken from the drain isn't conditio sine qua non for feedback function , as you know .

observe one half - you can make it in myriad of ways , especially considering FB route ; if you're able to connect two identical halves in way that returning feedback is going to each input(better put - influencing each input ) from other halve's output , that's SUSY ; so - just think polarity and FB injecting point and condition of crossfeedback

any further explanation will lead me to public yukyuk about Ultrasymmetry ( thing still not existing in any amp in our Universe and neighboring ones ) and I don't wanna do that

thought ...... to complicate things further - conceptually - you can imagine these two complementary buffers as sort of twisted (gainless ) nasty UGSess

gollumgollum

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it's better than moi - always on pointy peak of development - while I'm fooling around , I don't have a slightest clue what serious ppl around me are really doing

Attachments

• pajapatak.gif
    pajapatak.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 397
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
..... THis is just single stage as it sits......

yes and no

it's having phase splitter and gain stage ; so sort of two

however - I'm not digging that condition of two stages

maybe he said that you need to have one left and one right stage , for SUSY :devilr:

one LTP is enough for Full Monty

what is hard , is - to make it simpler that that

edit - just came to my mind - I remember seeing looong time ago schematics in yore periodics - it seems that xformer stereo matrix gadgets had some sort of X feedback , in starting era of Stereo ; so - there was no even LTP in them , at least not "active" ones :rofl:

Last edited:
nice

:cheers:

now - do the same , but with just one xformer

:devilr:

Zen Mod. I wrote a schematic for a bridge diyF6 using one transformer [post #3619]. It had limitations:
  • one end of the brige is a voltage source amp while the other end is current source amp.
  • A coupling cap to the gate of the bottom JFET of the current source amp.
You wrote that one may get a SuSy via the Jensen's transformer windings in your and/or buzzforb's diyF6 bridge; interesting comment; the practice of which maybe nurtured..

I have a general comment on bridge amps. Bridge F6 with F5 or bridge F5 with L'Amp a simple SIT ala Rothacher, or bridge an SE triode amp with a SIT. One has a fertile ground to treat its hearing to the best amps of highest state of the art and science. Does anybody see anything irregular with this approach?

Here is my approach to FW amps.
I believe ZM taught me this.

Take all ground wires from Speakers , line signal and and solder all to PS ground at back end, In the middle of the V+ and V- outputs. In that same area, take CL60 and tie that to chassis ground with bolt, and from there, bolt wire to IEC power cord ground.
So a CL60 seperates everything from direct chassis or IEC ground.

From here, shorting the inputs should lead to a quite amp. If not. Twist toriod, or cover toriod and or the Jensen's with MU-Metal (careful not to short).

Is your setup different?

So are you saying not to use any of the in/out ground points on the amp PCB?

I also assume then to only run one gnd wire from amp board to PSU ground and run input /output ground wires only directly to PSU board gnd? Then PSU board gnd to cl60 to star gnd?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
So are you saying not to use any of the in/out ground points on the amp PCB?

I also assume then to only run one gnd wire from amp board to PSU ground and run input /output ground wires only directly to PSU board gnd? Then PSU board gnd to cl60 to star gnd?

Yes, although I realize the board is designed to handle a direct ground, and then one wire ground to PS ground. Usually there is no problem either way, and I tested both. I wonder if you can uncouple a channels heatsink and stretch the wires out if you will, if the hum is redunced. This may tell us if it is coming from another components, or is just a ground loop.

My amp builds are generally dual mono. Their central star grounding points where all ground connections meet, is always the ground rails of the capacitors banks, irrespective of passive or regulated power supplies. The chassis ground is connected via NTCs.

There is one exception yet. The signal grounds from the input terminals lead directly to the amp boards.

It is always dead silent and absolutely hum free.

The big question is the modulation of the second stage. I believe this or the first circuit could be operated with no local feedback and achieve very respectable numbers. In my very short stint in audio, there is something very alluring about minimalist circuts that perform well. There is simply more information and space conveyed in the playback. I was quite shocked when listening to the original F6 how much removing the source resistors seemed to open things up. Sure we have feedback, but it does not seem to be causing any nasties that come through. I am going to be trying both the firs circuit and this one, as I am unsure if either holds an advantage. FE on this one will be cascoded with LEd rferemce so I can run Jfets at miminal degeneration. All options and configurations will be included for playing. I am even trying prganic polymer as coupling cap in output as I am interested to see how these perform/sound vs standard electrolytics.