F6 Amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
some news from the F6 builders front....:D

When I tried to build in in one channel an ISKRA xformer and stayed with the Jensen on the other side, I had an heavy oscillation on the ISKRA side. So I thought with hint from Zen Mod that one of the polarities of the ISKRA might be wrong. Zen Mod was so friendly to look at his ISKRA and the oscilloscope to determine the polarities.

New wiring with the corrected polarities, again oscillation....

not the ISKRA was the culprit, but

- either using two different xformers on the same PSU

- or at the same time one channel had one Semisouth guilty to make a changing offset from 15mV to 0,6V in seconds. After changing the two SS and the using two ISKRAS in the left and right channel all problems were gone.

So I do not really know, but most plausible explanation, one channel was a bit unstable, and this was augmented my using two different xformers.
Of course the reason was that I wanted to compare the sound of Jensen and ISKRA in mono mode.

So if you are doing this too, be careful the chance to get oscillation seems to be greater.

The more amusing part....

From the xformers I like most the ISKRA, the dryness is gone and it seems to be the most charming sound in comparison of the three, Jensen, Edcor and ISKRA.

So I suppose Zen Mod knew already about the merits of his ISKRA....:D

What was the frequency of the oscillation? In my early Teaser-6 build using a Jensen transformer, I could get it into a sub 1Hz oscillation. This turned out to be sensitive to the time constant of the bias circuit, which in Nelson's newly released F6 schematic is RC = 10k * 1000uF = 10sec. I now am running with RC = 10k * 100uF = 1sec. Spice simulations show a poor phase margin with very high values of RC.

some news from the F6 builders front....:D

When I tried to build in in one channel an ISKRA xformer and stayed with the Jensen on the other side, I had an heavy oscillation on the ISKRA side. So I thought with hint from Zen Mod that one of the polarities of the ISKRA might be wrong. Zen Mod was so friendly to look at his ISKRA and the oscilloscope to determine the polarities.

New wiring with the corrected polarities, again oscillation....

not the ISKRA was the culprit, but

- either using two different xformers on the same PSU

- or at the same time one channel had one Semisouth guilty to make a changing offset from 15mV to 0,6V in seconds. After changing the two SS and the using two ISKRAS in the left and right channel all problems were gone.

So I do not really know, but most plausible explanation, one channel was a bit unstable, and this was augmented my using two different xformers.
Of course the reason was that I wanted to compare the sound of Jensen and ISKRA in mono mode.

So if you are doing this too, be careful the chance to get oscillation seems to be greater.

The more amusing part....

From the xformers I like most the ISKRA, the dryness is gone and it seems to be the most charming sound in comparison of the three, Jensen, Edcor and ISKRA.

So I suppose Zen Mod knew already about the merits of his ISKRA....:D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
with the ISKRAS I have more hum at the moment, I have to care for a better position and possible grounding....

At the moment I find the sound with the ISKRAS the loveliest, but this is only a first impression and for sure a matter of taste.

The Jensens excel in the medium range, ISKRA cares more for the highs....

it is too early to say more and maybe useless...:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
me neither

( - don't have BudP's xformers
- plenty of 470uF Elna
- didn't made F6 )

Attachments

• smesna.gif
    smesna.gif
    16 KB · Views: 486