F6 Amplifier - Page 127 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2012, 12:13 PM   #1261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhquam View Post
Does anyone know how much DC current through the transformer primary can be tolerated without added distortion? The question is motivated by the issue of the input JFETs not necessarily being well matched in IDSS. A potentiometer could be added to trim the input stage offset voltage at the cost of increasing the impedance driving the transformer.
lhquam: Why are you and other DIYers hung up on the exact topology of Conceptual F6? This schematic is a concept. Y'all have the option to practice the diverse teaching of its old parent classic design; shown in many posts like #38, 1082, and 1085 etc. Does the front-end need to be a complementary common drain JFET design? Why can't it be a bjt or jfet operating in a common source configuration instead? I read in an earlier post that buzzforb proposed driving the transformer differentially with an Op Amp; this is thinking outside the box of the Concept. This concept design has tied hands. One can't do this and can't do that. What [else] in heaven can you do? I advocate regaining your freedom, by distancing "your design" from that of Conceptual F6. Do you really want your design to be known in audio circles as "A copy of F6? You and others have choices now. Y'all can always [and easily] copy the [unique] actual working schematic of Mr. Pass when its publishes. By contrast, Mr. Pass will not copy your design. Ponder this. What is probability that your DIY copy of F6 will sound exactly the same in the reference loudspeaker of Mr. Pass like an authentic one he assembled?. You do care; but how will you ever know? A question like it was asked somewhere else regarding F5.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:39 PM   #1262
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodioulasso View Post
Some square waves from the output of your proto, Ihquam?
No, direct measurements of another, standalone JT-123-FLPCH as described in the post.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:44 PM   #1263
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
.... This concept design has tied hands. One can't do this and can't do that........
I think you got wrong impression what some thinks and what majority think

besides that , do not forget that one need pretty low driving impedance , to make repeater happy
Old 30th August 2012, 12:48 PM   #1264
diyAudio Member

Opa opa opa.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:51 PM   #1265
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

moi like it more on other side of xformer

as quick'n'dirt output for xformer based I/V
Old 30th August 2012, 12:58 PM   #1266
diyAudio Member

I guess that means the trafo has no trouble driving low Z of Opa. Me got some ideas now. Talking to BudP about trafos. I am getting excited and haven't even heard anything. I assume your repeaters get better extension than the Jensens. Kinda discouraged to see the 15K roll off, not that my ears work that well.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:08 PM   #1267
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I guess that means the trafo has no trouble driving low Z of Opa. Me got some ideas now. Talking to BudP about trafos. I am getting excited and haven't even heard anything. I assume your repeaters get better extension than the Jensens. Kinda discouraged to see the 15K roll off, not that my ears work that well.
I think we (I) should build it and listen without feedback and with feedback.
Sometimes you find the finest midrange you ever heard (Western Electric) without feedback and you extend the range with a little feedback and stop when you are happy with the trade off. Or maybe you are happy with the extension as is.
The feedback is a play thing for this amp. The problem was the bias, I think this is handled now.
I have a preamp (w/crossover) project that I must finish before I start yet another amp.

Rush
Old 30th August 2012, 01:11 PM   #1268
diyAudio Member

Sure, the input stage could be something other than a complementary follower, but I think there are good reasons for that choice. The input stage needs to have a fairly low output impedance, because of the load imposed by the transformer, which is about 100R at 20Hz and 200R at 40Hz. This suggests a complementary follower stage rather than common drain. Sure, an opamp could be used and would provide the benefit of more voltage gain. But that would lead us off of the Pass Path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
lhquam: Why are you and other DIYers hung up on the exact topology of Conceptual F6? This schematic is a concept. Y'all have the option to practice the diverse teaching of its old parent classic design; shown in many posts like #38, 1082, and 1085 etc. Does the front-end need to be a complementary common drain JFET design? Why can't it be a bjt or jfet operating in a common source configuration instead? I read in an earlier post that buzzforb proposed driving the transformer differentially with an Op Amp; this is thinking outside the box of the Concept. This concept design has tied hands. One can't do this and can't do that. What [else] in heaven can you do? I advocate regaining your freedom, by distancing "your design" from that of Conceptual F6. Do you really want your design to be known in audio circles as "A copy of F6? You and others have choices now. Y'all can always [and easily] copy the [unique] actual working schematic of Mr. Pass when its publishes. By contrast, Mr. Pass will not copy your design. Ponder this. What is probability that your DIY copy of F6 will sound exactly the same in the reference loudspeaker of Mr. Pass like an authentic one he assembled?. You do care; but how will you ever know? A question like it was asked somewhere else regarding F5.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:44 PM   #1269
diyAudio Member

Correction: Direct measurement of the transformer get about 870ohms at 40Hz, not 200ohms. The 200ohm figure came from a Spice simulation with an unverified inductance parameter.

Quote:
... The input stage needs to have a fairly low output impedance, because of the load imposed by the transformer, which is about 100R at 20Hz and 200R at 40Hz. ...
Old 30th August 2012, 01:54 PM   #1270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does anyone know how much DC current through the transformer primary can be tolerated without added distortion? The question is motivated by the issue of the input JFETs not necessarily being well matched in IDSS. A potentiometer could be added to trim the input stage offset voltage at the cost of increasing the impedance driving the transformer.
Audio Precision used the bigger version +28dBu @20Hz JT-123-BLCF in testing power supplies for PSRR and they got a few hundred mA. The smaller version you're using probably won't do as well. Here's a link to the application note with charts of THD vs DC Load. AP High Performance Audio Analyzer & Audio Test Instruments : Service & Support

I've used the transformer method for PSRR as well -- but in the great regulator bake-off opted for Walt Jung's "Current Injector".

Hide this!Advertise here!