Amp Camp Amp - ACA

This has been discussed previously...some mentioned a method applied in another First Watt amp circuit to prevent the noise, but I read nothing that suggested it would damage anything by leaving it as is...I tested with both 19 and 24 supplies and got the same results.

I vaguely think I remember someone explained it had to do with capacitors charging in the circuit.

My theory before I read that was that I had dirty power in my lines that was giving the ACAs indigestion. Once they “gassed off” so to speak I believe the sound was definitely free of any constipation...definitely a lot more clarity to my ears than my other amps that don’t fart on start up. 😂

The noise is the output DC blocking capacitor charging up. Completely normal and will be the same regardless of PSU.

Thanks guys. Working as intended then. :)

My two kits came in today! Whoohoo! Probably need some time for breaking in after being built. Building monoblocks and will delete the rca and extra pair of binding posts. Looking for filler suggestions for the RCA and binding post holes.

If you happen to have an ACE hardware store and it happens to have the aisle that has the hundreds of little bins, there are a couple of the bins that have the really nice black plastic "hole plugs". They look very nice. I buy them all the time to do exactly the same thing. They come in quite a few different sizes.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Mrshazbot.... "Na-Nu..Na-Nu"........ you started your build very quickly!

I check all my component values with one of these-
Mastech Group

Are you following the V1.5 build guide? I have found no guide for this V1.6 kit yet....

I’m using the 1.5 as a guide so far. The PCB layout is slightly different but from what I can tell the resistor values are all the same so I got it put together using the schematic.

However, there are two differences that I can’t figure out. The on / off switch is different and has six pins, not two like the photos, and the power plug Has totally different pins / tabs. I’ll post some pics if I get too impatient to wait for the new guide.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
However, there are two differences that I can’t figure out. The on / off switch is different and has six pins, not two like the photos, and the power plug Has totally different pins / tabs. I’ll post some pics if I get too impatient to wait for the new guide.

If you are using the back panel switch for power, then wire like this -

aca_11_rear_wire.jpeg

Also the new barrel connector for the PSU has 2 pins, the center, which is (+) and the tab, which is (-)

Well, amidst the usuallyvery busy family weekends, I managed to do half the stuffing of my PCBs today, and have all the resistors done!

Not the best soldering work, but for a first attempt I think it went acceptable enough.

Looking forward to getting a few more hours to finish gem up, and then relaxing to their sweet music!

Best regards,
Rafa.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_3151.jpg
    IMG_3151.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    971.2 KB · Views: 1,460
Last edited:
Well, amidst the usuallyvery busy family weekends, I managed to do half the stuffing of my PCBs today, and have all the resistors done!

Not the best soldering work, but for a first attempt I think it went acceptable enough.

Looking forward to getting a few more hours to finish gem up, and then relaxing to their sweet music!

Best regards,
Rafa.

Could you please measure the diameter of that white circle where C1 should be soldered? Thanks!

The extra set of binding posts are nice for bi-wire. I use them for that.

Thanks, good idea. I did as you suggested. Build is complete. Both are now breaking in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 17B9B8E9-5222-4DFF-9A33-D92FFD18EC7D.jpg
    17B9B8E9-5222-4DFF-9A33-D92FFD18EC7D.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 1,176
  • C7F3A339-0A5E-4B90-867D-DF5A6FFCB3A2.jpg
    C7F3A339-0A5E-4B90-867D-DF5A6FFCB3A2.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 570CCCC6-231C-4AB9-B886-C2DB2CBE98A6.jpg
    570CCCC6-231C-4AB9-B886-C2DB2CBE98A6.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 0477D242-9031-4603-AFBF-374A240F36B2.jpg
    0477D242-9031-4603-AFBF-374A240F36B2.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 1,161
@mraudioguru good call. I will need to redo bias for 12V as you suggested, I bought the 1.6 kit but followed the 1.5 build guide and didn’t realize the instructions where for the 19v supply. I read around for the v1.6 build guide it’s not out yet but they did mention the new bias setting.