Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I will be trying mine first at home on a pair of Zu Audio Essence speakers. They will end up in my office desk system with a pair of Tekton 3.5 speakers. Both are high efficiency full range type speakers. There is a hot-rodded T-Amp there currently.

Long weekend at the beach coming up, my ACA project won't get finished until next week sometime.

These are great little amps, though to sound their best, need a relatively easy load to drive - they are only 5w. When driving a pair of Mark Audio drivers (full range, 8 ohms, small 3-3.5" cone), they sound GREAT.

Hi
Listening to the exact combination while writing this.
Speakers (CHR70) are mounted in a "pen" like enclosure

The speakers are new and not "runned-in" yet!
The sound:
Exstremly clear and analytic trebble and upper midrange.
Lower-midrange faint,hope the "running-in" helps ! ?
Dry and precise bass,but a bit retired.
Timing and room is (as uselly with fullrange) suprime.
Conclusion:Im back in the 70-ties,JHL+fulltone.
And im not going back to my old "home theatre sound" again,wich I apparently had gotten used to.(Packed down)

Jan

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Hi 12B4A,

I received the ACA kit today, they are so nice, but how did you mount the LED in the front? There is a 10 mm hole in the frontpanel ending in a small 2mm. And in the chassis is a 6.2 mm hole ???

Edit: I discovered these clips Invalid Request problem solved...

It's kind of being held in place just through the solid core wires pushing the LED in to the socket. I'm not pulling high Gs so it's worked fine so far. Those clips look handy.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Don't need grease with the (pink) Keratherm Red pads that come with the kit.

You use thermal grease with the clearish mica pads for these high temp uses.

Finished my board stuffing before leaving to the beach. I mounted the boards on the heat sinks, mounted the back panel hardware, and started planning the wiring connections.

I have one of two channels finished, zero magic smoke was lost in the process from either the amplifier or speaker it was tested with.
I will admit that I may have used it for longer than was strictly necessary for testing purposes...

A nice kit, the red chassis looks great, the small chassis is slightly annoying to work in.

Isopropol is what I use. I use an old toothbrush for the first go to remove the flux and then a second rinse to get rid of the sticky film.
I keep my powe rsupplies on the floor behind my desk where the amps are. I banded them together with velcro straps and spliced a second female onto the power cord so it only uses one plug.

I was dry fitting everything this am and found that the insulating washer for the RCA input, the one that goes on the outside, has a collar that has a .369" od. The hole has a .310" diameter, so it does not fit flush on the outside. I would think this is a possible problem insulating the input from the chassis. Is it? Do I just drill the hole out to .375"?
Thanks for any input.

Yep. Since neither one shorted to the case when I mounted them, I just moved on with life. If it comes to the point where they go to someone else I'll go back and widen the hole to ensure it stays insulated. Although, I wonder how critical that really is given the power supply configuration.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I did not have shorting issues either. Both boards stuffed, and one wired up completely. I used some small flexible wire to the LED, but attatched some stiffer wire with heat shrink to the LED leads, and hooked to to the mounting standoff to keep the LED pushed in place.

Bad news, I could not get a reading from ground to middle pin of the output transistor. But the LED lit up, the outputs warmed up.

Good news, I set the trimmer pot to mid way, and hooked her up!

REALLY nice sound right off. Needed a lot more pre-amp output for similar volume as my 35 watt tubed amp. Even with no break in, and no correct trimming, the sound was very sweet, lower bass than the big amp, but geez, what a mid range. This amp will be great in the desktop set up I have planned for it.

My first solid state audio project since my crystal radio. I'll wire up the other half tomorrow, and give it a try in stereo.

Any help with the measuring? I have a nice fluke meter, and clamped the red to the middle output pin, and probed the ground wire where it connects to the board from the PSU in. I'm getting no connection. Both the output transistors are heating up.

Now I'm really ready to get a move on with the Aleph J!

Thanks to Mr. Pass for the circuit, and DIYAudio for the complete kit.

I'm in about the same place as Bones, but my led did work and I got a bias reading. P1 is very sensitive and I got to 10.25 and decided to leave it alone. The only glitch was my goof up in wiring the power input. This "issue" with the input washer is a "non-issue".

I hooked up an old Polk Monitor Series 5jr and ran my phone, playing Pandora, through my JDS Labs cMoy BB (headphone amp in an Altoids tin). There was plenty of room to spare.

I have to wire the second bloc and then set it up in my computer room. (Wife wants to know why I need a music set up in here--wait till she finds out I ordered the components for and Aleph J.

I'm thinking of treating myself to some updated speakers, maybe PBS Alpha 1's, but for now I'll finish the set up with the Polks.