F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hey T,

You need to hear Buzz's Big 8 pr version , it's a killa ...;)

What, who me?
Have you heard it?
I plan on going from 4-N and 4-P a channel to 8 per rail per channel. A doubling of efforts. Bias will be lower of course. I have matched up some smaller FQP's for this purpose. As they will not be running a ton of current each.
Just waiting on some iron, and money to buy yet more heatsinks.

What, who me?
Have you heard it?
I plan on going from 4-N and 4-P a channel to 8 per rail per channel. A doubling of efforts. Bias will be lower of course. I have matched up some smaller FQP's for this purpose. As they will not be running a ton of current each.
Just waiting on some iron, and money to buy yet more heatsinks.

16/ch, Your my guy ...:)

Are you using boards from the store , or your own, can you drive that much off the single main board ..?

EvanC currently has the 4 pair version. He seems to like it. Wayne, would you like me to draw you an 8 pair version in Eagle, using the universal mounting spec.

Yeah, tell me about Mr C's , where's the BuzzF version ....:rolleyes:

Evan has a 4 pair version on Tea's boards. You'll have to talk to him about its performance. I am moving to BA3B with 5 pairs per quadrant. I like balanced. Also working on an UGS variant with SSM2212 and SSM2220, thanks to a tip from a friend. Kinda stupid though, as I am going to be listening to horns soon and it will all be wasted.

About the 4 pair version I got from buzz. Power a plenty.... I have been using the boards with a pair of 24 volt 400 va transformers running about .55 amp per device. I needed fans on the heatsinks too keep things cool. My speakers are fairly efficient, but the set seems to sound better with a preamp.
Comparing it to a stock f5 .. sounds similar, but where the f5 seemed to run out of steam this one doesn't.
Compared to my Moskido running same transformers with 2 pair per of buz901/906 per channel this amp sounds a bit dull. Snare drum, slapped bass, this sort of thing lacks the realism/impact that the moskido has. I have been running the f5 with the aikido push pull front end as a pre amp so I believe the comparison is valid.
I know my comparisons are amateur...but that's all I got...
Evan

Thanks for sharing Evan. I wouldn't expect a huge performance increase in going to 1A. You can fiddle with P3 if you want. Just watch the output offset and make sure you readjust. I believe the J74 has higher transconductance, so to reduce distortion, you want to degenerate it more, to bring it into line with sk170. I believe that is turning it towards the bottom or counterclockwise, but dont quote me. Been too llong since i fiddled with it and too many other things swirling in my noggin.

About the 4 pair version I got from buzz. Power a plenty.... I have been using the boards with a pair of 24 volt 400 va transformers running about .55 amp per device. I needed fans on the heatsinks too keep things cool. My speakers are fairly efficient, but the set seems to sound better with a preamp.
Comparing it to a stock f5 .. sounds similar, but where the f5 seemed to run out of steam this one doesn't.
Compared to my Moskido running same transformers with 2 pair per of buz901/906 per channel this amp sounds a bit dull. Snare drum, slapped bass, this sort of thing lacks the realism/impact that the moskido has. I have been running the f5 with the aikido push pull front end as a pre amp so I believe the comparison is valid.
I know my comparisons are amateur...but that's all I got...
Evan

Tk's ....

Altec 416 paired with Iwata 290, with ALtec 288. If i dont like that I will go for jbl2235 or TD15m. I am thinking i will like it based on what I know at this point, but you never know. Alternative to 288 will be Radian 745 because they are supposeddly making a truextent diaphragm for it. May try the HornsPL JMLC350 as well. It, like all things, will move and change as needed. I might love the ALtec setup and stop there:D

To build the power supply for a monobloc F5T V2, is it the best way to do it?

Attachments

• MB PSU F5T.JPG
    MB PSU F5T.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 517
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me if this diagram is correct or not?
My big question is how does the output sum between the N channel and P channel boards?

What is "LINK"? Looks like Ground.

All other ground best be sent to the power supply as a star ground.

Modify this diagram or please draw up another diagram.
Made in Microsoft Paint and the file is a jpeg.

Thanks,

Vince

Attachments

• F5T_Board_Wiring_Diagram.jpg
    F5T_Board_Wiring_Diagram.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 489