Yet another Aleph 5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Greetings!
I am starting my Aleph 5 project, I've read many topics on the forum about it, however, I have some questions and really appreciate if you help me with them.
I attached the diagram of the amp. Ti will be in mono-block form factor.
1) Transformer: Are avel 625VA 25V good choice for the amp?
Avel Y236850 625VA 25V+25V Toroidal Transformer 122-675
or it is better to go with 30V and have a bit bigger rails?
2) PS caps: Is there any difference in how many caps to use?
I mean have two 60k uf caps or four 40k uf caps? Assuming that parameters of each capacitor are equal(not capacitance of cause). So only total capacitance or how you construct it?
3) Outputs: I am going to use pcb from kk-pcb.com, however, they are for a stereo amp, so can I put my output transistors on heatsinks(see pic) and use wires to connect them to pcb?
Thanks!

Attachments

• al1-4.jpg
    al1-4.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,054

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, you can attach Fets to heat sink and wire them to pcb. I am going to have to in my build as well. There are many examples of aleph on the web where you can see it done that way.

Capacitor-- how many can you fit in your chassis? That is how many you want. More capaance is better.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Guys, when F5 Turbo is here, maybe it is better to build it instead of Aleph 5. As I understand it could be better for 4-6Ohm 89db speakers. What do you think? I really appreciate any info. I've been reading an searching a lot and there too much info on powering difficult speakers and sound quality (and tonal difference), when people compare F5 with Aleph.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am asking because I found on the forum that for 7-8 Ohm speakers it is better to use +/–25V and +/– 30V for 4 Ohm loads. However, I do not understand why? Is it because increasing the rail you increase power->heat dissipation->(to maintain given Temp)-> you have to reduce current(bias?)?

I am asking because I found on the forum that for 7-8 Ohm speakers it is better to use +/–25V and +/– 30V for 4 Ohm loads. However, I do not understand why? Is it because increasing the rail you increase power->heat dissipation->(to maintain given Temp)-> you have to reduce current(bias?)?

it is because with 25V you get higher amps. thats what you need to drive low impedance loads.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Colleagues, final thoughts before heatsink ordering: correct me if I am wrong:
Aleph 5: approx. 150W/Ch -> 20C/150W≈0.13deg/W for one ch. heatsink, right?

I was trying to go with one h-sink per channel, but it is difficult to get one with adequate size. So it will be "stereo" chassis made of four 0.20deg/W h-sinks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.