Yet another Aleph 5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope.
55 degree heatsink temperature minus 30C is 25 degrees above ambient.
Derating factor for 25C is about 1.38

Another reason for picking as high above ambient as possible.
From 30C to 25C above ambient leads to a heatsink with a 20 percent better thermal resistance spec. On top of that goes nearly 4% extra, due to the decreased efficiency.
1.20 times 1.04 is close to 1.25 , which means that going from 30 to 25C above ambient leads to a heatsink that is more than 1/4th larger.
(why some commercial Class A amps have switches on the front panel to alter bias, a couple can switch between 25%, 50%, and 100% of the nominal Class A output level)

Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks a lot! I just looked this page on my phone. Did not look the text -- just formula. Embarrassing. Wow couldn't imagine that someone needs specs for 80c above ambient. I will reestimate h-sink size taking into account these. Thanks again! :)

Heatsinks are manufactured primarily for other than audio duty. For most applications, dissipation at an elevated temperature level is practical.

There's not an international accepted standard for thermal resistance numbers.
Some measure dissipation at a specified temperature, as Conrad does with the 80C mark (others at e.g. 100C)
Other manufacturers take temperature at different dissipation levels, e.g. Fischer in Germany.
Makes a difference.

Getting everything right the first time, every time, is rather dull.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hello folks,

I am picking up PSU caps for my aleph 5 and would appreciate if you help me to chose!
I have these options (going with approx. 47k uf per channel):
1) http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/ECE-T1VA473FA/P10629-ND/272769
2) Personally I think of these Uni. Chemi-con's (parameters are great, but they are cheep. Anything wrong with them?): http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/E36D500LPN473TD79M/565-3327-ND/2095941

Or if these chemi-con's are good, go crazy and buy 4x100k uf per channel:
Digi-Key - 565-3298-ND (Manufacturer - E32D500HPN104MDA5M) And these are 105C which is good for class A.

What do you think? Thanks!

Last edited:
PKI--

The screw-top capacitors are bulkier but more convenient than snap-ins if you think your layout will be changing. If you have the money and the space, screw-top caps are a good choice.

Is it better to use say 4 47,000uF caps. in the power supply or 2 100,000uF caps.?

Does anyone have a link to the Aleph 5 power supply or can one just use a F5 power supply with a 25v transformer instead of a 18v transformer?

Like PKI, I'm curious which transformer is needed for a Aleph 5.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Folks, need your advice now, please!
This is the time to decide: single stereo enclosure vs two mono blocks!
Please look at the photos, isn't it too packed inside if I go with stereo enclosure? Should I go with mono blocks, or it looks fine to you?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
How big are those heatsinks? And what transformers did you wind up buying? They look like Anteks, which model?

I would suggest 2 monoblocks because you will have more internal room for assembly, and you won't be trying to make holes for speaker posts and IEC and the RCA jacks in a section of heatsink.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.