L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Happy new year to everyone!

I'm starting to prepare things to build a scaled-down version of the l'Amp with CCS for use with lowZ headphones.

The first question is about the input impedance of the K82. Since I would like to use a 10k pot, i would have to raise the input resistor to 100k - is this ok?

Second, if someone -possibly in EU- has a pair of IXTH6N50D2 that could sell me.
Otherwise I have to order from digikey.

Do you mean a 10k volume pot? The effective input capacitance of the 2SK82 under L'Amp operating conditions was a couple thousand pf as I recall.

Most of my samples have a microamp or so of leakage current.

I think you will spend more time soldering the attenuator than on the rest of the amp.:p

Hell yes! but i found one already mounted with Holcos... is my time soldering it worth 20£? i think yes.

Good luck and keep us informed. What headamp will you compare it with ?
I have a PPA.

For comparison:
-modded CK2III
-Marsh Headamp (to build right after L'Amp)

Same regulated psu (varies only voltage and transformer size, type is the excellent Nuvotem potted).
The SIT is the bigger of the lot, I think I'll order a 100VA transformer for mine (+35v/0.5A bias).

I need at least 24 steps, cutting away the outer zones (i.e. choosing resistors to provide fine control in the normal listening level).
ATM I'm choosing the switch to use, and i'll order next month.

I soldererd a lot of these good old ELMA audio attenuators.

Attachments

• 100_0489.JPG
    100_0489.JPG
    911.7 KB · Views: 502
Yes! Elma are my first choice. Used by goldpoint and not hard to find in Europe.
But those i found are with single pcb (per channel) with little spacing, for smd resistors. I'll look further (or get the pre-mounted one)

Yours are stepped attenuators that have always a chain of resistors in the signal path. Mine only one resistor at each step. A couple of years ago I purchased the last two from a British distributor. They seem to be hard to find meanwhile and if you get some, they are quite expensive.

But have a look at these high grade attenuators from Poland: High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators and Passive Preamplifiers

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The effective input capacitance and the output impedance of whatever drives it form a low-pass filter with cutoff = 2*Pi*R*C

So, driving the SIT with a 600 Ohm source gives:

6.28 * 600 * 2E-9 = 133 kHz

And, for example, hanging a linear 50k volume pot on the input, set at 50%, gives:

6.28 * (600+12500) * 2E-9 = 6 kHz (which is hi-fi for humpback whales)

Last edited:
From Michael's calculation I get that a 1k pot would be ideal to not have HF rolloff.
My source is very low impedance so I could use a 1k pot, the problem being it unobtainium ;)
Therefore i'll build a stepped attenuator taking advantage of the 10k (which i erroneously called inpout resistance) in it.