L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Try some higeher resol...

Finished the SIT CCS. It biased up and locking in at 1.55v across 1 ohm resistor.

Played an MP3 through it to hear something and I can tell there is something special about it already. Vocals are pretty freaky! :)

Thanks to Mike and everyone!! :)

Hi Vdi_Nenna!

You should have a go at some good Wav or DSD recording - yesterday I downloaded some from BlueCoast in 2,8 MHz resolution - burned them to a DVD - and played them through my new Sony SCD-XE800.
And through my B1 - SIT resistorbuildt - and it is like the whole acoustic band is inside my living room. :cloud9:
I have ordered some Amtrans resistors in the signal path on the B1 and the 47 ohm on the SIT. Just to hear if resistors make a difference.

Best

Olav

hi olav , yes it makes differences i have changed these from carbon film ( KIWAME) to Charcroft Z foil , and Cadock MKP132 and first i was somehow disappointed as it sounds less warm but at last i prefer this more transparent sounds:) but the best trick i have done is to replace the gate resistor load of the SIt with an amorphous Silk grid choke. as this swapping the 10uf input Cap with a 0,22uf Vcap teflon without loosing bass:)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
You should have a go at some good Wav or DSD recording - yesterday I downloaded some from BlueCoast in 2,8 MHz resolution - burned them to a DVD - and played them through my new Sony SCD-XE800.
And through my B1 - SIT resistorbuildt - and it is like the whole acoustic band is inside my living room. :cloud9:
I have ordered some Amtrans resistors in the signal path on the B1 and the 47 ohm on the SIT. Just to hear if resistors make a difference.

Best

Olav

Thanks for the site tip. I'll check it out.

Using a naked Vishay 47 ohm resistor at the gate. There's a Mundorf cap at the output, but will switch out for a ClarityCap to see the difference.

So many suggestions

Hi Juanitox and Vdi_Nenna!

Yes - I also wondered about the naked Charcroft as gate resistor and in signalpath resistors in B1. But I will first change my Wima 1uf w Obliggato and old Dale metalfilm with Amtrans to see if it is room for further impowement.
Then later I will change to Charcroft if you think it still is a good idea? Good to have some exciting change of sound later this year.
There are so few resistors in our amplifiers anyway - so it woun`t be any big amount of money with some change at times(once the amplifiers mainbuild is up and running) Just fun to change!!:hypno1:
And you Juanitox changed your potmeter to a LDR - I need one myself. I have found the OptiVol which looks promising - and with a zenerdiode(15v) it can be fed from the supply that feed B1.

Best to all

Olav

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It's difficult for me to recommend a $14 resistor when a $1 resistor might sound just fine.
Like you said, it's low parts count. It's in the signal path. I might argue that is a important resistor, then again, my RCA only cost $3 a pair. By comparasion, I should have spent $50 each on WBTs. Too bad Eichmann doesn't make a low mass RCA jack.

Anyway, your mileage may vary. Experimenting is fun. Listening is fun too. :D

Yeah to both....

Yes Gentlemen...

The fun is in the building - not the price! My friends Hi-Fi system (MLogan,ElectroComp,Shanling etc) cost more than 10 times the cost of mine. It may sound a little better, but he does not have the same amount of joy in searching and trying to find that spitz-feeling in the right component. And my system is more dynamic and touchable than his.
And my cheap Sony SCD-XE800(260 dollar here in Norway) is able to play SACD and DSD-DSF disc(burned on DVD). Not many discplayer at that price is able to do that. And the sound is more than acceptable for me!!;)

But what LDR-pot did you use Juanitox?

Best

Olav

i have a " lighter note" ldr Kit from buildanamp but the simple optivol will do the same. in fact i prefer mine with a fixed caddock series resistor and a LDR variable shunt as the optivol than as full LDR volume pot .. please don't ask me why :D

i have tried the Sit Amp with just a passive LDR pot but it sound dull , much better with the B1 :)

sorry - off for a while...

Olav, what software do you use for recording DSD-DSF files?

Hi Vdi_Nenna!

Was occupied with other things late yesterday, but now I`m back in line: to record a DVD with DSD-DSF files you don`t need any special software. An ordinary computer with CD-ROM and a standard WindowsLive or other DVD-burner software(that is included in most PC`s).

But you have to download the files - unpack them - to a folder of your choice - then you make a mother Folder - name it DSD_DISC - and inside that folder you saves your music files that has an ending with DSF.dsf(which is generated automaically at unpacking w the files from BlueCoast). And then you can play them on the Sony SCD-XE800 or Sony Playstation 3(and maybe some expensive other players)

But you can also download them as DSD-DFF and store them on the computer and later play them from the computer with the AudioGate player from KORG. It is partly free(but you has to have a Twitter-acount to do that).
And you get the problem with a good DSD capable DA-converter to get the files to the B1. (Meitner MA2 costs 11000 dollar, but there is cheaper than that) And you must have a computer connected to the DA-converter!

I personally DON`T want to be tied up to the computerized music-handling. I play my stored files via Squeez Touch, but don`t think that is a perfect solution(server,software).

So for me the Sony was a cheap - fun - easy - solution.

If you want I can give you a link to where the info is: how to burn DSD_DISC on Sony SCD player.

Just ask

Best!!

Olav

Hi Nicoh

me too , nice to know that I'm not the only ones....
probabily you don't like too much second harmonic ;)

btw I have no tested the full ldr , I use shinkoh ,try....

Hi and thanks for supporting info about the LDR-potmeter! And I was thinking about trying the Shinkoh - but it ain`t available in 220ohm. As Juanitox and other(I can give good link) has suggested - it is worth to try with 220 ohm for R102,R202, R104,R204. So I wanted to try that with the Amstrad-resistors.
Maybe a Shinkoh or Charcroft later.

But nice to have such eagerly diy-fellowers searching for the fine sound in Pass-related stuff.:D

Best from olav

Here is a quote from a mail I got from BlueCoast`s - Cookie Marenco just 5 minutes ago:

Closing note
We've set up our Sony AR1 speakers with Pass Labs amp and it sounds spectacular in the studio. We've created an alternate listening area for mastering--a dream come true. That brings the total to 7 different sets of speakers we check our mixes through and we love them all!

hullo all... not sure if this question has been asked before, but .... in the SIT nemesis article, NP mentions: "Also I have reason to believe that we will see some new SIT parts from a couple of sources in the coming year – parts that you should be able to actually buy."

Anyone any ideas what/where/when apart from the vintage VFETs ? These SIT thingies look just the bee's knees for amazing low/no fb amps ....