Burning Amp BA-3b (Balanced)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oh, sorry Zen Mod, was too lazy today......

Was only hearing and enjoying music.......

The only experiment I made was to go from 1:5 to 1:2,5 with the xformer before F4 and to my great surprise the sound got darker...... Maybe the RC correcting the resonance is now to active.....

Have a lazy day too, weather here is for the first time dull ... .! As it should be in November.

Better connect - out to the ground and use +out and ground for the output stage.
That's a bad idea if you use 0 Ω for the connection between -out and ground. This can distort most balanced output circuits. In the specific case of the BA-3b, there is already 100 Ω*and capacitance on the output to save you from certain destruction, but at a minimum a grounded -out circuit will be working harder than the +out section that's driving a non-zero impedance.

Better to match the input impedance that you've connected the +out to, and use that same resistance between -out and ground. For some circuits you can just leave -out floating for best results.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
yes I wrote it this way because BA-3 has a cap and 100 Ohm....:)

I tried with pumpkin balanced in and unbalanced out both variants, neg output closed and open.

For me the sound with closed neg output had more bass......and dynamics so I decided this way....:p

I tried with pumpkin balanced in and unbalanced out both variants, neg output closed and open.

For me the sound with closed neg output had more bass......and dynamics so I decided this way....:p
You might try a third option: A resistor with a value that matches the impedance of your unbalanced load as closely as possible. That way you're not overworking the "unused" output.

Maybe I will try the same with the unused imput...... tuner output is of course unbalanced...
Hmm, I don't think it's quite the same thing, though. Balanced input is not the same thing as balanced output. An input is not going to distort from excessive current when it is grounded, so there seems to be no danger in grounding via 0 Ω.

That said, if you know the output impedance of your tuner, then you could ground the unused input through a resistor that matches the output impedance. It wouldn't hurt to try, but my hunch is that you'll end up with thermal noise from the resistor that could be avoided by skipping the resistor altogether.

High power often means that larger, slower transistors are needed which may adversely affect sound quality, especially for older designs. A Mac truck does not do well on the slalom run. On the other hand, a large amp is probably not as sensitive to load impedance nasties. A very real problem with large amps is that they can fry your drivers in milliseconds. This is a very important reasons it's better to use a separate amp for each driver/band, and use an electronic crossover. ie keep the high end driver amp power no bigger than necessary.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So you (and Papa) are saying that even with the canceling of 2nd harmonic due to balanced construction, playing with P3 can still affect the sound and specs significantly?

you have symmetry effect between halves due to common 200 ohms resistor and overall effect of bridging .
if Papa sez that invoking 2nd harmonic can still be higher than symmetry effects , I'm not doubting that ....

Hi,

The BA3 Front End can be connected either with BA-1 or BA-2 output stages.

The BA3 Front End with BA-1 output stage (+ / -32 volt rails) : output power limited to 50W into 8 ohms, 25W into 4 ohms, 12 W on 2 ohms.

I think that the balanced BBA3 Front End (+ / -32 volt rails) must be connected with the official BA # 2 push-pull output stage.pour get close to 200W into 8 ohms.

I think that the balanced BBA3 with official output stage BA-1 (+ / -32 volt rails) will always be the power of 50W into 8 ohms, 25W into 4 ohms, 12 W on 2ohms.

I'm right?

Thank you for your answer

Regards

Darry

I think that the balanced BBA3 Front End (+ / -32 volt rails) must be connected with the official BA # 2 push-pull output stage.pour get close to 200W into 8 ohms.

Hi, Jean-Luc.

200W classA! What a dissipation!

Provided you bias the output stages twice as much as the 50w unbalanced version.

Or do you mean 50w classA only, 200W classAB?

Last edited:
In simulation with +/- 32 volt supplies I get a peak to peak swing of around +/- 45 volts from the front end so Vrms = 31.82volts and p= vrmsxvrms / RL or around 126.5 watts for 8 ohm and around 253 watts for 4 ohm. This is with BA2 P-P back end and with ideal values, but you should get around 100 watts at 8 ohms and 200 watts at 4 ohms. This is with a bias of around 12 to 15 watts class A and then into Class AB unless you have really really big heat sinks.