Burning Amp BA-3

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russell: Are you running the BA output stage and the ba3 preamp together? Do you have enough gain without a preamp in front of the ba3 front end?

Iam considering swapping my f5 for a ba complementary os. I love the f5 but it might be time to switch to something with more current for low z loads.

I am using both the BA-3 preamp AND a complete BA-3 Power amp. Plenty of gain!

Russellc

the BA3 has no paralleled active devices.
Therefore as stated by 6L6 applies.

Only where paralleled active devices are used, does it become necessary to do some selection/matching.
Pass has a webpage describing how they recommend that you do this, if needed.

So this leads me to believe the only matched pieces on my whole SE BA-3 are the IRFP240's? Can I forgo matching the input JFET's as well?

So, I haven't heard from buzzy yet. Would it be safe if I just went and bought the output mosfets from Mouser w/o matching, and then sourced the matched JFETS online or whatever?

I'm confused on why the JFETs would need to be matched, but not the output MOSFETS. Doesn't the signal run through both of them?

Is there a single Nchannel jFET and a single Pchannel jFET?
Then no matching.
No matching because there are no paralleled semiconductors.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If the Jfets are in the same general area of Idss, say within 10-15%, then they have fairly equal self-bias, letting the bias pots (P1, P2) have enough adjustment for the mosfet to get in balance and keep the DC offset (before the output cap) in good trim.

Thanks guys. I have 12 matched IRFP240's coming, and am compiling some last remaining items. Then all I need is the transformer and chassis.

I'm putting some effort into the front panel too. I'll be turning some giant aluminum knobs myself and then I'm going to make a bird's eye maple front panel with blue backlit knobs. Stay tuned.