Burning Amp BA-3

OK, here is the SE output stage. C102 on the output stage and C1/C2 on the front end. Bipolar caps ok or not?

Attachments

• fig2.jpg
    fig2.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 446
  • ximage.php,qwidth=600,aimage=archive,_fig4.jpg,aauth=d69b4e5769f27dcb6ce8ede9fff00c18.pagespeed..jpg
    ximage.php,qwidth=600,aimage=archive,_fig4.jpg,aauth=d69b4e5769f27dcb6ce8ede9fff00c18.pagespeed..jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 445
using a Bi-polar electrolytic where a polar electrolytic is specified (see the + on the schematic at each polar capacitor) wastes space and wastes money.

There is no advantage in changing to Bi-polar.

It wasn't intentional. I purchased those by mistake. And they were a whopping $1.38/ea, so no big deal. It wasn't a question of whether they are better, but of whether I can safely use them in the same locations.

I've got a BA-3 front end pushing a F5 right now...sounds great. I want a little more power and I am considering the BA complementary output stage to replace the F5. Speakers are 89 db 3-ways w/a 3.2 ohm min. The BA complementary OS should do better into a low ohm load than the f5.

Seeing as how the front end has it's own regulated 24V supply I could run the output stage at any voltage I want. I don't have to worry about the Jfets turning to toast.

So what's the best option? BA output stage w/24V rails is 25 watts into 8R. How high can I go with the rail voltage on the output stage?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Hikari1,

The BA complementary output stage has no voltage gain so you are still limited by the voltage
output available from the BA3 front end. The voltage swing available from
the BA3 front end at 24 volt rails will limit you to about 25W @8ohms.
For more power, you will need higher voltage rails on both the BA3 front end
and on the follower output stage.

The BA3 front end should support 50W at 32V rails. (Please see the first graph
under "Performance" here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/194809-burning-amplifier-ba-3-a.html )

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't have any balanced sources... Mostly listen to vinyl. Guess I will have to check out the ba3 balanced thread.

That's the same boat I'm in, some reading I did here (I think this thread) indicated the sound not as good when fed a single ended source? Otherwise, I would like to do it, and even have the matched quads of J-fets ( from old days when plentiful) to do it with. More study needed, plus 2 more 5U cases....I will finish Aleph J and F-6 1st, done on both except 2 more 4U cases.....store is out, and play money exhausted for now.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've got a BA-3 front end pushing a F5 right now...sounds great. I want a little more power and I am considering the BA complementary output stage to replace the F5. Speakers are 89 db 3-ways w/ayt? 3.2 ohm min. The BA complementary OS should do better into a low ohm load than the f5.

Seeing as how the front end has it's own regulated 24V supply I could run the output stage at any voltage I want. I don't have to worry about the Jfets turning to toast.

So what's the best option? BA output stage w/24V rails is 25 watts into 8R. How high can I go with the rail voltage on the output stage?

I had the same idea, didnt think it through that its the increased voltage on the front end that is needed to increase output power.

Which brings up another thought: I did use a 1000 VA 24+24 transformer, but left the four front end electrolytic caps at 25 volts! I did use high quality panasonic 105 degree caps, and maybe their conservative rating is saving them. I may need to ask this in separate thread, but do these caps see the full 31 volts that are on my rails? I assume they do....

Russellc

hi everybody..
i have plan to build the single ended output stage with 12pcs of irf240 per channel.
my newbie questions are:
1. are the voltage still around 25v for one channel?
2. what is the minimum bias for this amp to be in class A
3. how many watts exactly it will produce with 12pcs irf240 per channel?
4. if i separate the 12pcs into 6+6 to make a balanced BA, is it still produce the same watts or divided by two?

thanks.

1) Yes.
2) Bias until you have heatsinks at 55C
3) 25V rails can swing approx. 45V Pk-Pk, (45*.3535)^2 /8ohm =31W (That is; Pk-Pk Volts RMS squared, divided by speaker ohms)
4) Power is multiplied by a bit less than 4

thanks 6L6.

btw did you mean :
with 12pcs running in SE mode will get around 25-30watts
but with 6+6 running in balanced mode will get around 100-120watts
for one channel.

is that correct?

therefore, it's look like balanced BA will be better. :rolleyes:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, that's what I meant. :)

BUT I did just realize that you said 12 pc IRF240... and that you are building the Single-Ended output stage. I didn't see that the first time. Sorry. :(

Ignore what I said about balanced. That's done with the Complementary output stage.

I had the same idea, didnt think it through that its the increased voltage on the front end that is needed to increase output power.

Which brings up another thought: I did use a 1000 VA 24+24 transformer, but left the four front end electrolytic caps at 25 volts! I did use high quality panasonic 105 degree caps, and maybe their conservative rating is saving them. I may need to ask this in separate thread, but do these caps see the full 31 volts that are on my rails? I assume they do....

Russellc

Russell: Are you running the BA output stage and the ba3 preamp together? Do you have enough gain without a preamp in front of the ba3 front end?

Iam considering swapping my f5 for a ba complementary os. I love the f5 but it might be time to switch to something with more current for low z loads.