An illustrated guide to building an F5

Right now weak link is the Pyle Pro phono stage (ouch). I had not bought a record in 25 years until 2 months ago and then started sliding down this slippery slope....

I would like to do a 1U chassis with B1 and Pearl boards and a 2u chassis with B1 and Pearl 2 PSU, transformers with 6L6 style umbilical. First need to complete the F5

Starting the layout:

DSC_0958.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Bill,

That looks good so far! (Well, as much as I can see from one photo...)

Only one question, do you have an individual wire for V+, GND, and V- to each amp board? (In your case, terminal strip)?

Disconnect the Diodes from the caps on first power up, to make sure that your polarities are correct and voltages in the ballpark. (they will be high with no load)

Then hook the caps to the bridges and stand back. If they don't blow up (which is good) then measure your voltages at the PSU outputs and see if they too are in the ballpark.

If yes, then unplug it, keep calm and carry on with the amp boards.

Attachments

• audio.jpg
    audio.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 672
100% Finished

The front panel arrived yesterday from Front Panel Express. They did an amazing job. My F5 is officaly complete. Listening to Radiohead "King of Limbs" right now and it sounds amazing. I was listening to CSNY "Four-Way Street" and I heard a low buzz and was a bit concerned. It was actually the PA buzz on the recording! I have been listening to this record for my whole life and it was like hearing it for the first time! Listening to Coltrane and Monk "Live at Carnegie Hall" and you can really hear Monk humming along in the background! Through the solder fumes, we often forget this all about listening to music...

Thanks again to 6l6 for an awesome build guide and the offline support. I had my Google Nexus tablet on the workbench reviewing the photos and write-ups of this post the whole time. Need to finish my Pearl 2, start my Mezmerize B1. Great hobby!

Attachments

• DSC_1009.jpg
    DSC_1009.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_1007.jpg
    DSC_1007.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC_1008.jpg
    DSC_1008.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 506