F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The rear panel & bracket.

The only mistake from Mark, to whom I owe a thousand thanks for arranging everything :
The rear panel on the left should have been mat silver anodised.
A new one will be made.

Total weight without Conrad sinks is about 6kg. Add another 2 for packing and carton.
We have price for Fedex 10kg boxes, but are asking for bulk shipment price.
Takes a bit longer, as all custom clearing charges, handling fees, etc have to be calculated.
Shall update as soon as we can.

Patrick

Attachments

• 110524 Rear Panel.jpg
    110524 Rear Panel.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 1,043
PCB update :

Dave & I have not heard from Variac for quite a few weeks now. And the test team is just waiting.
I have sent him and Jason a email yesterday.

If we do not hear from him for another week, we shall proceed to order our own prototype boards, and then try to recover that cost in the first GB, in order that the project can move on.

Best regards,
Patrick

We have finally heard from Marc (Variac).

The bad news is, he's likely to be out for a while.
The good news is, Dave & I have decided to prototype the boards for the test team ourselves.
So we should expect them in 2-3 weeks time.

And then we finally have things in our own hands, and can make some progress.

Patrick

First picture of the F5X test board

I have to choose between waiting till everything is perfect or feeding the hungry crowd.

This is the first photo by the vendor of the F5X test board.
Still a bug or two to sort out (see who can spot the mistake).
But they will be rectified.

If all goes well, we should be sending them on to the test team next week or so.
Just want to show you some progress.

Thanks to those who spent hundreds of hours to make this possible, especially Dave & Mark.

Patrick

Attachments

• IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 880
Thanks, Patrick, for showing this glimpse of the main board.

I haven't compared the picture to the schematics but I noticed a few inconsistencies:

- inscriptions "FX5" should read "F5X".

- It appears that the MOSFET sources are connected via jumpers to the rest of the circuit. Only one of these connections is already labeled (J1, lower right corner).

- What's up with resistors R9, R29, R32, R16 near the MOSFET gates? They don't have through-holes. Will they be connected directly to other components?

To stop speculations and me getting loads of PMs kindly pointing out potential mistakes, this particular board had the silk screen printed on the wrong side. If you flip the copper mirror imaged (which it is on the other side), then everything is fine again. :)

The board is so symmetrical (not only left to right but also top to bottom) that the poor girls at the production line had a hard time figuring out which is the right side up. So 2 out of 10 were wrong (still pretty good hit rate). We need to change some features on the copper to make the right side more recognizable for people in production.

One of the things why we did test boards.

The agreement with Variac is that production boards will still only be exclusively available from the forum. So as soon as the first boards are tested working, and we release the schematics of the standard version, he is the man to chase. And I can get back to my long queue of new projects.

;)

Patrick

As to all the other components which are not on my original board (published a few years back right at the beginning of NP's F5 thread),

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-24.html#post1538826

they are there to support the many optional configurations that the test team will go through and publish one by one.
So till then, patience is called for.

There is a German saying "der Weg ist das Ziel". I'll leave heinz1 & co. to translate.
I have not found a translation on the inet that I am totally happy with.

So forget about the destination, take your time and enjoy the journey.
It has only just begun.

Patrick

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.