F5X -- the EUVL Approach - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2012, 05:11 PM   #691
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
And as already mentioned, in simulations and measurements, the floating and grounded X behave similarly.
But the floating X is capable of taking single ended input. The grounded X needs balanced input signals.
Patrick
I am not sure what the grounded-X topology is. How does floating-X compare to what Nelson shows in the F5 Turbo Balanced diagram? What terminology do you use for that topology?
Old 27th February 2012, 01:24 AM   #692
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhquam View Post
I am not sure what the grounded-X topology is. How does floating-X compare to what Nelson shows in the F5 Turbo Balanced diagram? What terminology do you use for that topology?
I found your reference to gounded-X here: F5X -- the EUVL Approach. So grounded-X is the same as a pair of bridged amplifiers.

Apparently Nelson's balanced F5 Turbo isn't an X, just floating balanced that should accept unbalanced inputs, but doesn't get any advantage from the X cancellation. The P3 pots are needed to minimize (or adjust to taste) the 2nd harmonic.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:43 AM   #693
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have been asked about where to get F5X PCBs.

The F5X Case GB subscribers will get Beta PCBs from fitzfish (or us if he is too busy). See post #611.
These Beta boards (incl regulator & protection) fits the case, & are probably not useful for others.

The F5X amplifier boards Gerber files will be released to the DIYA forum spring next year.
It is then up to them as to when they would like to have them in their online shop.

This was the agreement as per October 2010.

Patrick
I have been planning to build a balanced F5 for quite some time. There are many ways to do this. Even more so after the publication of the Turbo version.

EUVL: you refer to "them" above, who will decide whether the F5X boards will be available at DIYA forum. I am not sure of whom you refer, but I would like to know if these boards as such will be available. Making a set on my own seems somewhat uneccessary.

Chalk
Old 27th February 2012, 10:16 AM   #694
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> who will decide whether the F5X boards will be available at DIYA forum.

Variac and Jason, i.e. the Forum.
We made an offer to give them the Gerber files and the right to sell exclusively, right at the beginning.
Whether they consider it is worth their while is entirely their decision.

If they were to decide not to, then xen audio will make them available in limited batches of Group Buys.
But in principle we have no real interest to do so. Too much work for little return.

Patrick
Old 13th March 2012, 09:25 PM   #695
diyAudio Member

As you are closer to actual building now that the parts are being shipped, here is an article to describe a simple 3-point matching method for both the JFETs and MOSFETs for the F5X.

Patrick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3-Point Matching for F5X.pdf (30.3 KB, 327 views)
Old 15th March 2012, 11:28 PM   #696
diyAudio Member

The F5X build thread is up. We will post more information there as it progresses.

F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

Dave
Old 16th March 2012, 05:06 AM   #697
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave.
Now I can retire to build the F5X Pre.

Patrick
Old 19th March 2012, 06:45 AM   #698
Variac is online now Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

This project has been long and arduous, and required more resources of time and money that the forums could spare. Which is why we're so impressed that the awesome results. diyAudio would like to produce the basic boards, which after all, have been designed to fit the "Hole Standard" for boards in the store, so will fit right in.

Whoever has the Gerbers should contact me via e-mail and we'll figure out the next step. If you've lost my e-mail address send me a PM

Variac

Quote:
> who will decide whether the F5X boards will be available at DIYA forum.

Variac and Jason, i.e. the Forum.
We made an offer to give them the Gerber files and the right to sell exclusively, right at the beginning. Whether they consider it is worth their while is entirely their decision.

If they were to decide not to, then xen audio will make them available in limited batches of Group Buys. But in principle we have no real interest to do so. Too much work for little return.
Patrick
Old 19th March 2012, 12:19 PM   #699
diyAudio Member

Variac,

As far as I know we have not changed anything, so your last set of Gerbers are still valid.
But if you want, fitzfish can send you again.

We leave it up to the forum to decide whether they wait for the Beta testers to finish,
or start making them available now.

As far as we know the boards are bug free.

Best,
Patrick
Old 19th March 2012, 03:58 PM   #700
Horio is offline Horio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave.
Now I can retire to build the F5X Pre.

Patrick

Hide this!Advertise here!