F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would any experienced builder please confirm that I don't have to populate R4, R5, R6, R7 and K1 relay If I will use regulator pcb without protection / control board

I have another piece of good news for you. :)

A test team member has his proto fired up and working.
So the PCBs should be OK, thanks to Dave's immaculate work.
I shall release them next weel to the forum so that you can pre-order.

As you can see he is not using the current limiting circuit.
He is also on a special mission to test other output devices other than 2SK1530/2SJ201.
Distortion measurements next week if he can find time.

Herzlichen Dank Uwe.

The schematics of the standard circuit will be released once it has been tested.
I am busy arranging that right now.

Greg, please kindly get in touch by email.

Patrick

I know everyone has been waiting on technical details. The release schematics and the bills of materials for EUVL's F5X are here-

The build thread is in progress and will be posted as soon as the rest of the performance testing is complete, just a short few weeks away. We should also have some additional quotes for the PCBs back in the next week so that Patrick can make decisions about the PCBs for the case groupbuy participants.

Enjoy!
Dave
(file size limitations required splitting the amplifier BOM into three pieces)

"Edit : To avoid confusion BOMs are now only available here : F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread"

F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread - diyAudio

What are output power to distortion characteristics of the F5X when or as compared with the bog standard F5? Are these Identical to Nelson Pass' F5 Manual 1% 1khz;25Watts or obviously dramatically improved, especially at higher power such as 25W? I saw something about 2nd, 3rd harmonic distortion at -100 and -120db but at what output. Is the standard and/or cascoded front end F5X suitable to drive Quads' (at 25-40W p/ch) with low distortion?
..Thank you!

Last edited:
Over the years we have been asked many times for F5X PCB sets and matched devices.
We have declined every time because a set of boards without the case is no use.

One of the senior (in terms of experience) members here expressed a willingness to supply the case for a limited batch to DIYers.
So we wish to know if there is still any interest before we make the necessary preparations.

It will be a last-time GB limited to 10 sets.
They will include matched FETs incl. regulator FETs, PCB set and fully machined case.
You should be looking at a total building cost (fully finished) for a stereo amp of around 3000€.

I've opened an interest gauging thread at the GB forum.
Please indicate any interest there.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/330034-final-gb-f5x-power-amp.html#post5602963

There will be no guarantees if we go ahead, but we shall try our best to make it happen, some time in 2019.

You can see some more nice pictures here :
Balanced F5X Power Amplifier withdrawn from sale - Classifieds - Audio - StereoNET

It is very likely that we shall also complete the Beta test of the F5X Preamp in 2019.
And then we shall offer that also some time in late 2019.
Everything is working, but a lot needs to be done before it can become a robust public project.

Patrick

I may be an overly ambitious neophyte, but I really want to build my own balanced amplifier. I have some DIY electronics experience (more breadboard and Arduino experimentation than soldering and circuit board work at this stage). I was going to build an F5T (and may yet someday), but I really want a balanced topology to compliment my otherwise balanced audio system.

In reading Nelson's article about the various F5 versions, I couldn't help but be directed to your work here, which is awesome.

I figure a balanced amp will be challenging enough to be educational and satisfying enough to keep me engaged... but I don't want a project that is so difficult (or poorly documented) that it outpaces my ability (and thus causes me to give up on it after hitting too many unanswered questions or dead-ends in the build notes). This project seems to be one of the better-documented ones out there. So perhaps there is hope.

So I guess I'm looking for advice. Would I be biting off more than I could chew with a build like this? Should I start with a basic F5 or F5T and "work up to" something like the F5X?

Lastly, I suppose availability of the requisite parts and chassis becomes relevant. You mentioned the previous GB for the chassis and matched components was the "last-time" ... so I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath that such a thing will be forthcoming in 2020 or 2021?

Thanks again for all the information and detailed plans and guides. I'm learning a lot just reading the forums.

Oh, and... Happy New Year!

The whole point about a fully differential amplifier like F5X is not about power, but about distortion spectrum.
With the same number of output devices, you can also build a single ended amplifier with the same output power.
But the latter will most certainly have higher even harmonics content.
Assuming of course your device matching is good.

To understand why a fully differential JFET front end has such low distortion, I suggest you read the excellent website of Pavel Macura :
Distortion in JFET input stage circuits

Patrick

thanks for the link to the other thread.

Just a last question:
original F5 is with irfp140/9240 higher transconductance
F5X is with 2SK1530 - 2sj 200, that have lower transconductance and lower VGS resulting in lower Open loop gain of the amp, how do you cope with it? less negative feedback?

Pass used 2SK1530 - 2sj 200 type mosfets in a "F5" amp called F7 he had to add positive current feedback to compensate for the lower open loop gain...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.