F5 For Low Z Loads ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
snip....So far my changes are: 19V rails rather than the stock 24V, Dual output Toshiba FETs with .27 ohm Source Rs. in the output. ....snip
A while back while I cut and pasted from the 'main' F5 thread a post from NP regarding using dual (paralleled) Toshibas:

(about the Toshiba 2SJ201 and 2SK1530) NP 6408:
"Judging by the curves on those parts, when paralleling them
you can raise the Source resistor to 1 ohm and get greater
thermal stability yet."

But here you are suggesting 0R27 as output source Rs (R11, R12, R111, R112)? How is this value determined? Stock F5 has R11 and R12 as 0R47....

CViller boards designed for dual outputs. 2X Toshiba 2SK1530 and 2X 2SJ201 with .27 ohm Rs. 2X15Vrms 400VA Antek xfrmr/ch., 50,000uF/0R125/50,000uF CRC. Maybe get 19V Rails. Heat Sink USA 10.08 X 8"/ch

Attachments

• Tosh F5.JPG
    Tosh F5.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 392
...But here you are suggesting 0R27 as output source Rs (R11, R12, R111, R112)? How is this value determined? Stock F5 has R11 and R12 as 0R47....

Some of what I am doing will lower the gain in the output and even the input stages. Driving 2 ohm loads causes a loss of gain by a factor of 4 over an 8 ohm load. Lower Rs will give me approximately 20-25% more gain than using the .47 ohm Rs. They would not be as much of an aid to thermal stabalization at this lower value. But, I would be recouping some of the gain losses.
:Pawprint:

Paralleling common source configurations, as in F5, has never worked well for me. I tried some multiple smaller FETs on the PLH output and it sounded sheeety. It's the miller capacitance multipied by the gain that's gonna kill ya! That is not what happens in a multiple source follower output stage!

Having said that, I did a little Pspice over the weekend and found the Low Z F5 version (19V rails and Dual Outputs) to be producing an OLG of about 233 vs. 333 for the std. F5. Source Rs of about 0R22 would raise the gain to about 255.
I'm going to procede with the build as in the schematic above.

Paralleling common source configurations, as in F5, has never worked well for me. I tried some multiple smaller FETs on the PLH output and it sounded sheeety. It's the miller capacitance multipied by the gain that's gonna kill ya! That is not what happens in a multiple source follower output stage!

The capacitance is actually quite low (Ciss <1400pF). It is at least definitely less than 2pairs of Toshiba 2sk1530/2sj201

Isn't it transconductance/Ciss that is important?
The higher the ratio of transconductance to Ciss the better?
Could you explain this a bit more?

Nelson obviously doesn't have problems with it. The Aleph series is a testament to that.

Last edited:
The capacitance is actually quite low (Ciss <1400pF). It is at least definitely less than 2pairs of Toshiba 2sk1530/2sj201

Isn't it transconductance/Ciss that is important?
The higher the ratio of transconductance to Ciss the better?
Could you explain this a bit more?

Nelson obviously doesn't have problems with it. The Aleph series is a testament to that.

Ciss was not the capacitance I was refering too. And, I thought you were talking 7 pairs. :eek:

Ciss was not the capacitance I was refering too. And, I thought you were talking 7 pairs. :eek:

Yes I was talking 7 pairs. 7x150pF (roughly 1050pF depending on Vds) is less than 1400pF (which is below 2x2sk1530).
At 286mA each (for total of 2A) transconductance is around 0.7S. 7 x 0.7 = 4.9S

For comparison 2 x 2sk1530 biased at 1A each (2A total) gives a total transconductance of about 4S, with Ciss of 2x950pF = 1900pF

I am still not sure what you are talking about regarding miller capacitance issues. If you can explain that It would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2sk2013.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.