Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

You use the DC from the main PSU. A dropping resistor and a cap form the Turn-on constant. The board I got delays the speakers with about 3 sec. on turn on.

It's got an 'AC-gone' detection as well. If you use it, you drag a wire from the transformer to the circuit, via a half-wave rectifier. This way,on turn off, it disconnects the speakers immediately. If you don't want to use that, just wire that pin to DC+ as well.

Of course, there are numerous configurations possible. We have quite a few threads here that discus that IC, so there should be enough info for anyone.

Don't worry, the Vo imbalance in the Mez is designed in by me by voicing it. Its normal. On the resistors its a matter of Vgs and leds. PMOS & NMOS don't have the same ID/VGS curves. You can try have about same current there by trimming the resistors (Vrset/Rset=ICCS), but it won't change anything audibly at that range.

Dear Salas,

You mentioned this a number of times. I have always been fascinated by the concept of "voicing". Could you give some details about the process ?

Thanks,

Davide

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a subjective touch after all technical is in order. Got to know your system and trust yourself. What kind of distortion profile, some PSU synergy, Iq, voltage point, maybe choice of influential parts values or makes. Keeping notes, trying for coherence in tone. Letting it play for a while, revisiting. Such stuff.

My two cent on the use of the DCB1 with F5: my DCB1 has been connected for 6 month now to my F5, I use it regularly, and never had a problem. Just I am careful on what and how I connect things. I check offset from time to time.

One question that I always wanted to ask: if I want to go balanced, do I really need to have a double PSU, of you think I can use a single psu, considering that mine is pretty high in current.

D.

Would an Antek AS-1215 ( 2x15V, 100VA, 3.3A ) be acceptable for the Mezmerize? Going over the threads I've seen recommendations for anywhere from 12-15V, 30-100VA. I already have one, and was under the impression that only its size would be an issue. Its a bit chunky. This will be my first DIY build so just beginning to learn, needless to say.

Would an Antek AS-1215 ( 2x15V, 100VA, 3.3A ) be acceptable for the Mezmerize? Going over the threads I've seen recommendations for anywhere from 12-15V, 30-100VA. I already have one, and was under the impression that only its size would be an issue. Its a bit chunky. This will be my first DIY build so just beginning to learn, needless to say.

i used one that i had for a different project worked out fine.