F5 with 2SK2013/2SJ313

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The cap multipliers drop 4v each and depending on current, typically 1.2amps that’s 5w per cap multiplier mosfet or 10w for both rails per channel. Just add this to the typical 50-55w dissipation of the Toshiba’s and mount on a 65w capable heatsink. I have also found that the floor pan of an amp enclosure can handle 10w just fine.

So I have received my PCBs from EasyEDA. I'll have cap multiplier separated from rectifier electrolytes and will keep it separate per channel. May come in handy for future projects. FYI, if somebody is interested, I have attached photo views of PCBs.

Other stuff like toroid, 4U chassis, passives, RCAs, etc. is slowly coming from different parts of the world.

So far one surprise on the way to Yuma's F5 is the cost.... To be honest, I did not sit down and calculate properly all euros needed to be flushed on this. Not that I would park the project if I'd knew, I really want this amp on on my shelf, but the surprise wasn't nice. I agree I could have saved some, but anyway it is still high. This amp has to really sound good now :)

So I guess the learning is to carefully plan the supply chain and consider options.

Anyway, the project is going and is exciting :)

Attachments

• F5_pcb.jpg
    F5_pcb.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 595
  • F5_cap_mul.jpg
    F5_cap_mul.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 587
Thing of beauty indeed :)

So there is my first issue which I need your help to resolve. Input JFETs have arrived and I thought I'll test them as per the following post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...asy-mosfet-vgs-measurement-3.html#post5201484
I am using a 20V laptop charger as PS. I set the drain current to about 5mA. I was hoping to see Vgs/Vds to be about 4V but it actually is below 0.3V for N transistor and below 0.5V for the P one.
At the same time the GS and GD P/N junctions seems to be OK, at above 0.7V each when forward biases and blocking when biased in reversed direction.
Will appreciate any comments on that.

for a small signal jFET the Vgs = zero volts if you want the Current to be Idss and Vds=10Volts and Tj=25degrees C

As you increase the Nchannel Vgs to slightly negative the Id reduces to less than Idss.
This is shown on the graph in the datasheet.
When the Vgs has increased to -1V the Id is down below 1uA
Read Borbely, he is my expert when it comes to FETs.

Thanks Andrew, this is great stuff.

MOSFET are still on their way to Ireland, but I could put together PSU, both cap multipliers and one channel of the amp.

As mentioned previously, I have added socket pins in parallel with source resistors, feedback resistors and also for cap multiplier LEDs and their resistors. This will come handy for experimenting with different setups.

Potentiometers are already set to 0. I have also chosen to use 4.7k resistors in parallel with pots, as it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Attachments

• F5_source_sockets.jpg
    F5_source_sockets.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 153
  • F5.jpg
    F5.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 157
  • CapMul_sockets.jpg
    CapMul_sockets.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 186
  • CapMul_2.jpg
    CapMul_2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 500
  • CapMul_1.jpg
    CapMul_1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 502
  • PSU2.jpg
    PSU2.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 506
  • PSU1.jpg
    PSU1.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 556
  • F5_feedback_sockets.jpg
    F5_feedback_sockets.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 180
Seems JFETs are harder to find then MOSFETs. I have got 170/74 pieces from few sources and the closest I can get in terms of Idss is 7.00mA for 2sk170 and 5.85mA for 2sj74. The latter result in itself means that it is not probably a BL grade part, if genuine at all in a first place ... BL grade parts are sold out on the diyaudiostore, can you recommend a source of matched JFET pairs by chance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.