F5 with 2SK2013/2SJ313

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But in cubie 2 and cubie 3 the 1058/162 in buffer configuration sound almost as good as f5 with 2013/313?
You can not make such a conclusion without listening to it yourself.

Is the f7 output based on 1058/162?
It could be.

I will read the tread but it is soon long, difficult to reconstruct a schema out of it but I will try...
Good. Study, build, test, listen - or just start saving and buy the darn thing...

can I use 74/170 GR for F5 with 2013/313?
Yes, if they are from upper GR range (Idss > 4mA)

I found them at reichelt.de, marked as toshiba
Do you know if they are fake?
They don't know and won't guarantee it. In telephone conversation they told me to buy a few and check for my self if they are a real deal. I don't really need them so I decided it's too much hassle...

F7= profet + positive feedback?

I have built a F7 clone from info provided on this forum with help from some members along with the F6 and F5. All three similar sounding with subtle differences. The F5 is the simplest to build with a dedicated following. If you own conventional speakers I believe the F5 would be a good choice. The best thing about FW clones is with some board stuffing you can stick some different boards in your build for just a little money and have a new amplifier.

Last edited:
I told you already:
1) Answer to that question would be my preference and it might be very different from yours;
2) I refuse to give recomendations to people on what-to-build subject;
3) build both and decide for yourself. It's only 20 EUR worth of parts.

Please stop asking same questions over and over again and trying to extort the answer you like - It's embarassing...

Ok I will test out myself.
The only thing I would avoid to spend 120euro of matched 2013/313 if I can achieve 80% of their performance with FQP3N30 (40 cent a piece)
Pass recommends them as a viable alternative ba3
I think this can be of interest for many readers of the forum
Un any case I will stop asking embarrassing questions and apologies if they have hurted any sensitivity

... of matched 2013/313 if I can achieve 80% of their performance with FQP3N30...
Characteristics differences will result in quite different presentation when used for F5/BA3Pre.

If you take your time and read up the important F5 thread, you would have found that other builders found "easier on the wallet" J200/K1529 and J201/K1530 pairs with closer characteristics to the J313/K2013 parallel pairs to be very nice.

But never ever let price of parts fool you. There is never a guarantee that you will have more enjoyable experience from more expensive, exotic, rare, old or other desirable traits parts; including datasheet figures and associated distortion characteristics. They can be used as a rough guide but nothing can replace real world build, listen and measure experience. For me, I build, measure just to make sure it won't release the magic smoke or kill my speakers and listen, dismantle if it does not sound good, other measurements come in after the build shows good potential.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Dear Marconi, I heard an F5 at a Friend's place. It was pimped by using very good resistors and a CLC PSU instead of CRC. The rest was as posted in the F5 thread, means IRF240/9240 (1 Dollar parts). It was close enough to my Pass V-Fet DIY Amp, which I really like. I could live with that very well for a long time. Others as well. Just my 2 cents, even slightly off topic.

Cheers

It seems that the bottleneck in the f5 are the irfp. ...
Not entirely correct, they simply sound different. Some people find them exceptionally good in their system. As an example, here is one by Bear, a senior member whose opinion even John Curl respects. Please note his use of the word "really" twice before the word "nice".:)
...Bottom line subjective result for me is that the F5 seems rather sensitive to details of implementation but is silky smooth on the top end, beating out the SE toobes that were here by some degree, seems to not create much if any sibilance (that HF grain on the top of voices)... now I do have to find out why this is so - but even if it is a flaw it is a really really nice flaw!...
... These are the IRFs, I think... Otoh (as you know) I had a SE Mosfet (DC coupled amp) out a few years back (yikes! more than a decade!) and it used the same jfets to drive 3 Hitachi Mosfets, and that set up had an essentially neutral presentation in terms of subjective dynamics, and did not exhibit this slightly extraordinary presentation of the highs as does Rick's F5....
I'd have to mortgage everything just to acquire his type of audio toys. Go figure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.