Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Indeed I do not see any reset pin being used in the examples. It is not mentioned in the documentation either. Do you have some delay as the first function call in setup()?
I presume you use initalisation as in one of the examples so it should follow the procedure described on p.20,21 of the manual.

Last edited:
Indeed I do not see any reset pin being used in the examples. It is not mentioned in the documentation either. Do you have some delay as the first function call in setup()?

Yes, I have delay(1000); before oled.begin();
Yes, I use the initialisation as per the examples. P. 20 and 21 are about parallel interface, I am using serial interface.

Last edited:
Yes, my bad. I overlooked that p.20-21 are about parallel interface.
Weird, it looks like Newhaven Display is well supported. So if you followed their instructions it should work. Mine was from fleabay, I had to guess and try.
Still the symptoms were what you described.

No worries. I will try to google it a bit more some time and maybe post a question on Newhaven Display forum. Now I just enjoy music :)

and - how it sounds?

I had a chance to listen to the preamp for a bit last night and I really like it. It has this organic quality similar to M2 amp. Comparing to pure passive stepped attenuator, bass seems to have more energy, voices and instruments seem to be more present. Not sure about treble, a bit less clear and delicate, but maybe it just needs some burn in time. Anyway, the differences are very subtle, it is not like a night and day. More listening sessions hopefully soon...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Test fit

First placement of major components for an F5 build. F5 v3 boards, SMPS600-CLA, and extra power supply caps. This is exciting.

The Deluxe 4U chassis is wonderful. But LARGE! :D So much extra real estate. I may reconsider the full chassis width and spring for custom front and back panels closer the the Sony VFET SE dimensions... After I have this together and playing music.

I plan to pair it with a new ACP+ yet to be built (received the F5 chassis and ACP kit all today!).

Attachments

• 4567BDAE-1BB6-439B-B0F3-9C70E11DE4FA.jpg
    4567BDAE-1BB6-439B-B0F3-9C70E11DE4FA.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 994
Glad you are having fun! I like keeping both input and output wires the same length and as short as possible, esp the input ones. Full disclosure, I don't know much, but my amps sound good and have low noise. :) My thought is that is would be cool if all amp boards where mirrored.If my intended thought isn't right, what I mean is the boards can be mounted in the same orientation on the right and left sink and have the inputs and outputs symmetrical to one another.

When you have these long skinny boards or any board for that matter, why would I want an input one 10-12 inches longer than the other? Likewise with the outputs....

JT

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Partial success!!

Completed building the F5. It’s a rat’s nest in there now, but it powered up fine.

I started the bias and offset procedure, but it’s way too late... :sleep:

I’ll see if I can complete the bias setup after the sun comes up.

Attachments

• 8472E0FE-DA09-43A6-9E7F-14191665CD4E.jpg
    8472E0FE-DA09-43A6-9E7F-14191665CD4E.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 782
Joined 2018
Paid Member
@ChrisM91 That looks great. Really neat. My Pearl II has been dragging along for months now, but hopefully will get it done soon. Then I guess I need to get a turntable. Although I have been toying with the idea of having a go at building my own. This hobby is so addictive, and getting out of control!!!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks, stablgr!

My F5 is up and running well. The VFET SE is taking a breather while I get familiar with the new workhorse in the stable.

The amp is VERY quiet and sounds exceptional! Not exactly as quiet as the VFET SE, but that one is silent.

The SMPS600-CLA (from Products – MicroAudio) works flawlessly. No lack of oomph with the added 40,000uf to its output. Ease of build and implementation here is amazing.

The Deluxe 4U chassis heatsinks are warm but not hot. ~50C on both sinks.

The sound is exquisite. There is less spookiness in the sense of space than the VFET SE, but the quality of the experience is on par with that amp. Slightly different characters. The F5 has discernibly more power, but maybe that’s just because I know it has more available. Nevertheless, wow. As anyone may guess, I am now hooked by these Class A amps. :D

Attachments

• 5EEF8A4D-A2A9-42A9-A6AD-D4F83D420754.jpg
    5EEF8A4D-A2A9-42A9-A6AD-D4F83D420754.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 450
  • E2E20F91-C6D9-4F2B-98F7-387C5AC3E4C0.jpg
    E2E20F91-C6D9-4F2B-98F7-387C5AC3E4C0.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 368
Last edited: