Check out these antique light bulbs from TubeDepot

yhst-8476489043850_2073_39507665

yhst-8476489043850_2073_39662012

yhst-8476489043850_2073_49322594

yhst-8476489043850_2073_40117443

se

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Nelson said at BA that the IXYS thingy was about 6 bucks a pop and one of those non-stock "stock" items at Digikey with a min order of 60 pieces ( about two-three tubes worth). He flat-out recommended a group buy.

Wrenchone,
I am offering a group buy for these.
Offering another solution, you can order them from mouser individually, at a higher costs.
The group buy will take about two months from close to get delivery.

Hi,

Getting "proper" lamps in Europe should not be so difficult, but they may not look so "romantic" like the old style incandescent lamp. For example, this one can be used:
OSRAM 64701 300W 230V R7S - Licht-123 -Leuchtmittel - Strahler - LED - Osram - Philips - SLV - Paulmann - Trio - Megaman - Massive

Beware that in order to get the needed current, up to ten such lamps may need to be wired in parallel (5-10 actually, depending on the desired current). Also, a funny idea would be to build an amp which would actually look like a small stove. (actually an amp inside a small stove). Or, an amp with a pair of water kettles on top, like this: Amazon.com: Aroma AWK-115S 1-1/2-Liter Hot H20 X-PressWater Kettle: Kitchen & Dining (they will have be filled with a bit of water, which will get warm during operation) :)

On the other hand, its is known that Nelson uses a lighbulb as a CCS in his tutorial examples. So, we may be looking toward another depletion mode mosfet on top as a CCS. Then, let's revise most of the ZEN series (1-7)...I think that SOZ with the Ixys device would be cool (hot actually) :cool:

Hola Hombres,

Back In the 60's and 70's some chrysler autos used ballast resistors in the 12V primary side of the ignition coil circuit(readily available maybe a source to be checked out ((beefy thing in ceramic and nichrome assy's))...
Just a thought..

Dreaming In SC, Elwood

Can anyone provide a more legible drawing of this amp -- that is if Nelson would not object -- with a few resistor and capacitor suggestions scribbled in.
This build it on the kitchen table type thing is something I can get behind. Nice handwarmer with sound for the cold winter months. I have some of those old 300 watt bulbs lurking in the basement somewhere.
I guess a pair of Lowthers or Fostex high efficiency speakers are mandatory here.

Tad

Check out these antique light bulbs from TubeDepot

yhst-8476489043850_2073_39507665

yhst-8476489043850_2073_39662012

yhst-8476489043850_2073_49322594

yhst-8476489043850_2073_40117443

se

very nice idea. Also helpful it could be to use the heater of the russian power triode 6C33C (faulty exemplares of course). The triode from some commercial tube otl power amps like Graaf GM20 (GM-20)
I am not shure, whether is is really possible but for other members it is easy to find out.
I think, there are many faulty exemplares by the regarded service departments and the main reason for the not correct function are not the headers itself.
photos of this triodes you are find about
http://www.stateofgrace.net/lj/robs04180924.jpg
http://de.geocities.com/peter_rehkop/tube.jpg and
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/142528-graaf-gm20-mods-help-3.html
I measure by each heater coil approximately 1 ohms at could condition (two heater coils in one 6C33C) for 24 V I must connect 4 pieces serial (and a second group of this one parallel, if I want twice the idle current)
But as mentioned earlier, I do not know if we can do that - only an idea or thought-provoking

...how come no resistor from G-D? Looks familiar to the one found in the beginning of the F5 article.

As Zen Mod said, the difference is due to the Enhacement mode device and the depletion mode device characteristics. The Pic you show uses the 'ol standby enhacement mode device. It needs about 4V G-S to turn on to some idle current. The G-D R and the G-Gnd R create a voltage devider which provides about that level at the gate node.
The IXYS Depletion mode device would be on with a few amps flowing through it without any bias at all. The G-D R is not needed. In fact almost no bias voltage at the gate is needed. It just so happens this device will provide a reasonable idle current with the Gate at about Gnd potential. Much like JFETs.
Now I want to ask a question. :) The 10k R from G-S is a little interesting. I haven't given it enough thought yet obviously but it does more than give the amp an input resistance. It is tied to the Source R which will create some Positive feedback :confused: Is this one of those distortion cancelling methods?