FirstWatt J2

Waiting for Nelsons F6 with Semisouth.......:)

I thought I was the only one looking at DIYAudio every day since January for it... (and the J2):rolleyes:
I play with my F2J clone instead... funny.. .. did you know an F2J can play very well with Q3 soldered backwards ? for a while only..... :D My perfectly matched pair of R100 is now a perfectly matched single. Pretty useless

Now I'm too afraid to play with breadboarded J2 experiment, lest I would burn my perfectly matched SJ74 Quad....

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As some people know I had the chance to compare my J2 Clone to an original First Watt J2 ......:D

All compliments to Nelson! The original sounds much, much better!:):eek:

After some weeks of changing components and different values of the circuit I did not succeed to get a similar sound........ But got some tendencies of depression.....!:cool::cool::cool:

I nearly decided to buy an original J2!:hypno2:

Only the idea that buying a finished product would stop the pleasure to take part further in the coming Nelson gifts to our community stopped me.

When the difference I remarked between a Nelson build FW amp and the clones build by us, is generally so high, it is really shocking....!
I hope it is only my dumbness....:)

And it shows that knowing a circuit and rudimental knowledge of matching parts is not enough to reach the sweet point!

I suppose that Nelson developed the F6 more foolproof and less dependent on bad matching.

Nevertheless Mr. Pass, it would be very interesting to get more information to get closer to the sweet point in this specific circuit! :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The J2 circuit has never been available, has it? How could you build a good clone? So I guess the F6 circuit is welcomed.

Yes you are right!

It were always bad clones....!:D:D

And I believe it is not really possible to clone the J2 even if you had the circuit, because it has extreme matching demands.....!

I am not speaking of Zen Mods Babelfish J2, because this circuit has precautions to handle less matched devices.

But the discussion is in my eyes a bit futile, because F6 is a real gift from Nelson, soon available and fully described and a so interesting combination of the advantages of J2 and M2!

F6 idea is electrifying me......Thanks Mr. Pass, depression gone....!:D:D:D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The F6 should be very interesting. I hope it isn't just a low power amp for chamber music but able to drive real world speakers with a bit of slam.

I suppose it is again a MU follower constellation, so I would suppose similar values like J2, means

around 25W for 8 Ohm speakers and about 14W to 4 Ohm speakers....

The good pronunciation could come with the iron and the subtle part from the Semisouth....:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I suppose it is again a MU .......

well - looking at first post schmtc , it isn't

xformer is phase splitting device here ........ so - type of outputs modulation is already chosen

of course that you can drive lower one as presented , with upper one connected in Mu fashion

design permutations are countless .......... as Papa said several times :rofl:

Last edited: