Thermistor Location for F5 power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
This is how i have done it. However I am a rookie at this so I would like to see other comments from experienced builders.
jim

Attachments

• DSCN3587Small.JPG
    DSCN3587Small.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,283
The power supply thermistors are not used for temperature sensing but for inrush current suppression. They limit surge current when powering up the amplifier by functioning as a power resistor which drops from a high cold resistance to a low hot resistance when heated by the current flowing through them. They do not need to be close to a source of heat.

I used this schematic, I wish I could give credit to whom it belongs. (I think it was Papa's from the F3 power supply) I just copied it. You are correct, if you have a different soft start circuit, you do not need the Themistors (in the startup circuitry).

Ron

Attachments

• F5 soft start.jpg
    F5 soft start.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 1,168
Additional question wrt thermistor and 240v transformer.

The PSU pic in the F5 doc that refers to 240v shows a dual 120v primary
(top part of pic)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If I only have a single 240v primary, is my alternate position correct (bottom part of pic) or am I going for a Darwin award?

tia for any life saving comments anyone would like to offer, else I guess I'll find out when I power the PSU part up tomorrow ;-)

cheers
Nick

This is how i have done it in my F2 clone. However i am concerned that 10 Ohms series resistance does not reduce the inrush current enough. With a 240v supply and 10 Ohms series resistance (ignoring the resistance of the primary winding for now) the inrush current is 24 Amps. i am using a 625VA toroid and when i checked the resistance across the primary winding including the series CL60 thermistor it measured 14 Ohms. Is there a better way to measure the series resistance of the primary winding?
I'd like to hear some experienced voices on this issue... is a single CL60 enough with a 240V supply?

Cheers,
mymindinside

Sorry, my lack of clarity - there's no load attached :-( and the lightbulb is in series with the mains live (no variac so I wired up a The Dim-bulb Radio Tester).

Leaving it running for a while and I get a steady 25.4v ish each side of the supply (which I work out as right for 18v secondary * 1.414, and allowing for mains to wander about a bit)

I'm waiting for my thermal paste before I can attach the F5's and start biasing up

cheers
Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.