Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Done. (Almost...)

Today I finished my B1. The wire, attenuator and sinks still need attention but it is good enough to be put in production.

It sounds very good (no break-in time yet) in he sense that the music was still very detailed. If it changed anything I will never know as I removed the selector switch and attenuator from my tube-amp and I do not plan to put it back. I just needed a pre for my coming F5 and Tubelab SE.

Thank you very much for the circuit, pcb and support!!

Jeroen

you want improvement ?

wire all signal routes with decent wire - 0,25mm dia , and less
I'm using Cu enameled with silver , 0,25mm dia , and there is always positive result - comparing to even Silver wire but with bigger dia

Ok, I will try that.

I see PartsConnexion only has 28AWG silver, but I love the cotton tubing to go with it. :D
I suggest... Go for thinner wire in any material is way more important than the material it self.

Thinner copper wire will sound better than thicker silver wire... even for speaker cables. Crazy? Try it!

Nice thin wire IMO: Farnell Export

And always use solid core wire for signal and speaker cables... or better... use foil!

Thank you. I tried clicking on a number of links on that page other than "Franell Export" and none of those others work. Clicking on "Farnell Export" in the upper right hand corner and then clicking on the link again was the only combination that worked for me.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
wire all signal routes with decent wire - 0,25mm dia , and less
I'm using Cu enameled with silver , 0,25mm dia , and there is always positive result - comparing to even Silver wire but with bigger dia -- ZenMod

By "Cu enameled with silver" do you mean "silver plated wire" and not "enameled wire" as in the stuff used to wind coils/transformers?!

If so, with what insulation, none, cotton, ptfe ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
How critical are the strings of leds? I'm measuring 1.94v & 1.98v in the bunch of 64 I sorted (with my m3 semiconductor analyzer).

Critical no, preferable yes. So to meet the prototype Iccs and Vout. You will just get a little more current and Vout. It may have a sweeter tone with 1.8V Leds or it may not in your system. Nothing terrible.