The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Well, don't want to open a can of worms, but I think that "make more using less" works up to a point. Today's industry, and the society in general-has already gone past that point. We want more of everything-and being "digitalized" society where everything is expressed in numbers-we measure more just by numbers (money or watts-same thing). Quality? Who cares! I want X tomatoes more-who cares if they have no taste! I want X watts more-who cares if it sounds like Sh*t!
I won't be surprised if in the near future they find out a way to reduce pregnancy from 9 to 3 months. Hey-I hear "nine months is too much-gotta make it faster and be back to work!".

Grumpy,
Vix

Unfortunately I think you're perfectly right.

The problem is that most people just don't care much about quality, thus rendering quality food/furniture/you name it, pointless and not competitive.

Good quality is still possible to find, but mostly not in the regular consumer market.

A friend of mine has a furniture factory, which makes tables and chairs for hotels, cruise ships, and the like. The quality is much higher, but it's rather new to them, that they have an option to compete with the consumer market.

Magura :)

And now for something different...... :D

I had an idea a few days ago while reading the Farnell review section, that we could maybe all benefit from reviews, of tools, meters, Soldering irons, generators, and so forth, if those reviews were made by somebody with audio in mind.

Too often I see newbe's either buying meters and tools that are causing more trouble than good, or they go in the "overkill" direction instead.

What do you say guys?

Joined 2006
Paid Member

I had an idea a few days ago while reading the Farnell review section, that we could maybe all benefit from reviews, of tools, meters, Soldering irons, generators, and so forth, if those reviews were made by somebody with audio in mind.

Too often I see newbe's either buying meters and tools that are causing more trouble than good, or they go in the "overkill" direction instead.

What do you say guys?

This is a good idea! :cool:

1. Do not use soldering iron as screwdriver!! (and visa - versa) :eek:

What do you say guys?

Good idea ...

Manu

Fun time again : couple of years ago i told my gardner friend i wouldn't mind having a larger generator at hand.
We've had power failure a number of times too often, and a 400Vac generator would pay itself back in a couple of years by saving out the rather steep 3-phase connection bill, the thought of having stand-alone audio mains even crossed my mind.

The fat guy answered he had a (ex-yugo) neighbor in serious need of cash, who could "arrange" a mobile generator, the trailer types used in construction.
So i asked him if he'd expected me to have such as thing all-out in the open on the driveway for years, or covered with a camouflage net ?
He responded that he could set up a meet with his cash burdened acquaintance somewhere at a wall/fence in the evening, all i had to do was wait till his guy threw a smaller generator over it.
Can you fckng believe it ? Even got me into serious parler trouble with the g/f. :clown:

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 263
They do, but limited to about 6Kva, gasoline, not exactly silent, and pretty unreliable.
A decent generator set is low rev, runs on diesel (e.g. Deutz,Perkins,Lugger,Cat), installed in a sound box, and built to last.

A 15Kva trailer generator set does ~$20k new, 5 year olds can be had for less than $5k at auctions, especially now with the construction biz going through the crapper.