The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread - Page 610 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 05:08 PM   #6091
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Looks to me as though the recent posts about Avro Vulcans over influenced the design parameters, whilst the bearing looks more like a water stop valve!!

c2c, you really must keep these other interests separate in your mind.
Old 18th May 2012, 05:28 PM   #6092
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
It helps a lot if you can stick the routh of minus one and 42 (most important fortytwo) some vhere.

so assuming arm lenght is 42 units then work out proportions of system based on 1 2.16 2.93 or up to 1 2.22 and 3.04
I appreciate that info Bksabath - and will see if I can apply it. I've come to the conclusion that the best tone arm is no tonearm, but that still leaves you with all of the problems caused by cartridge design and the stylus to grove interface, needle drag, cartridge housing resonance, - crap - I guess I will have to design my own fiber optical cartridge along with the other stuff too.

BTW - is that little bit of knowledge about 42 units published or referenced somewhere I can see other than lifting up your skull cap?

I did come to the same conclusions as you about golden ratio = massive resonance problems - not to mention the mass and initial moment of inertia with that thing - but I learned from it - and it didn't cost me a penny. I might wind up with an air bearing arm yet - but would rather not if it can be helped.
Old 18th May 2012, 05:34 PM   #6093
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Looks to me as though the recent posts about Avro Vulcans over influenced the design parameters, whilst the bearing looks more like a water stop valve!!
Just a simple linear slider similar to what used on camera rigs - just need to trim down the mass of the thing - (by about 75%)

Quote:
c2c, you really must keep these other interests separate in your mind.
With only two brain cells kicking around inside of my dome there is a lot of room to play in. With all of the spare space up there they like to play handball with ideas and so I get things flying around up there all day long. It's when they keep me up at night banging things around that it gets to be a bother.
Old 18th May 2012, 05:35 PM   #6094
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pippilangstrumpf.jpg (10.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 18th May 2012, 05:39 PM   #6095
diyAudio Member

How about a water bearing parallel tracker? Has a few advantages. Jacco should be able to help...he is as far as I remember...a Naval Architect. [At least he appears from his posts to have extensive experience of contemplating navels!]
Old 18th May 2012, 05:51 PM   #6096
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How about a water bearing parallel tracker? Has a few advantages. Jacco should be able to help...he is as far as I remember...a Naval Architect. [At least he appears from his posts to have extensive experience of contemplating navels!]
Dykes - he plaz with dykes......

I have thought of a water and oil slip and slide thingy plus some PTFE tape - but dirt and dust are a problem. Taking a look at hovercraft thingy's now.

All I need to do is "borrow" idea of noise cancelling headphones from Boze to make noise cancelling tonearm and the active suspension tech from Cadillac Magnetorheological damper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Bob's your Uncle....

The headphones are cheap but fitting a Caddy "A" arm onto TT is gonna be difficult.....

Last edited by c2cthomas; 18th May 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 18th May 2012, 06:08 PM   #6097
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Dykes - he plaz with dykes...... ................................ .........
Is that where you find the hole, shove your finger in and then saw off your finger to ensure that the leak is permanently fixed? J's recent finger problem must have occurred on a day when he forgot to take his tool-kit - and had no saw with him. His liking for rubber clothing has just become understandable.
Old 18th May 2012, 06:14 PM   #6098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post

BTW - is that little bit of knowledge about 42 units published or referenced somewhere I can see other than lifting up your skull cap?

I did come to the same conclusions as you about golden ratio = massive resonance problems - not to mention the mass and initial moment of inertia with that thing - but I learned from it - and it didn't cost me a penny. I might wind up with an air bearing arm yet - but would rather not if it can be helped.
Just goggle up Douglas Adams you will find that 42 is the answer to the most important question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number).

Air bearing = Boring + one need compressor = noise or Air botles I was wondering how long standard ones from SCUBA shop would last but as those are rated at 200 bars 3000 PSI one would need proper compressor although maybe old fridge compressor can do part of the job

Would she prefer small compressor or air bottle hidden somewhere in her Kitchen?
Even thinking about soda stream kind of botles Sodastream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
But would CO gas be a bit bad for sound and send one to big sleep?

PS. really nice tread about pretty decent one somewhere here DIY Air bearing tangent tone arm

Stick to antigraw.
(one reserves the right to use spell cheker from time to time but antigraw suggestion would be antigay so I skipped this bit of it )
Got same parts on order for that so you better be quick

Although I made up the bit about 42 and not forgetting square Roth of -1
Which is an Imaginary Number (Me think the brain cells in charge of doing lap lace died long time ago to much wiz sorry to say)
I am surprised how one can be so dumb to dwell on golden anything when dealing with sound.

Got my first parcell from big book order today
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Ptavvs

Yuppie first edition SFBC152

Last edited by Bksabath; 18th May 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 18th May 2012, 06:18 PM   #6099
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

ball bearing with snap ring

take out snap ring , put two of these on longitudinal part of T , put snap ring grooves on knife edge

of course , prior to use , open them , degrease
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiit7425-1.jpg (35.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 18th May 2012, 06:22 PM   #6100
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I can stare at my navel all day long.

(my parents raised me to act modest, e.g. not order more than you can eat, i do recall several episodes of having a thing for half a dyke)

Hide this!Advertise here!