B1 Buffer Preamp

I have a problem here having sound output from the B1 quieter than i put in at about 10% of the original signal, the only thing i could have done wrong i guess is wire up transistors wrong way or the attenuator/volume control.

Power is on and all good, any ideas ? time for some detective work i guess!

Last edited:
B1 with lower ps voltage: 12-14V?

I did a quick search but didn't find anything specific ... :(

Loving my B1! :D

Thinking of another circuit, can the B1 work with lower ps voltage: 12-14V?

From the 2SK170 datasheet:

Note: IDSS classification GR: 2.6~6.5 mA, BL: 6.0~12 mA, V: 10~20 mA

Would it be as simple as using the GR grade (2.6~6.5 mA) instead of the BL grade (6.0~12 mA)?

Or are different FETs required?

Cheers,
Jeff

Heres my B1, the power comes from transformer on the AC wires then to a rectifier then to the B1. any reason i should be getting hum ? on the output ? about to troubleshoot.

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Can i Ground the center-tap wire ?

Last edited:
I did a quick search but didn't find anything specific ... :(

Loving my B1! :D

Thinking of another circuit, can the B1 work with lower ps voltage: 12-14V?

From the 2SK170 datasheet:

Note: IDSS classification GR: 2.6~6.5 mA, BL: 6.0~12 mA, V: 10~20 mA

Would it be as simple as using the GR grade (2.6~6.5 mA) instead of the BL grade (6.0~12 mA)?

Or are different FETs required?

Cheers,
Jeff
Keep the same BL grade.
The dissipation will be a bit less due to less voltage.
That would allow a higher Idss if you have any.
But the Idss should be measured at the voltage the devices will see in the circuit.
If the B1 runs on 13Vdc then the Idss should be measured at 6.5Vds

Thanks, the actual voltage that was read when connected to the B1 was 32v I listened for a few seconds of music and found there was no limiting/distortion effect like there was with 13v (ac-centre tap)

Strangely after the rectifier i measure 22v but when plugged into the B1 i read 33v (ac-ac)
the answer to this I don't get lol

May use a regulator Andrew thanks, Diode trick is a new one on me! :)

Would upgrade my caps to 50v so they can handle the 33v power supply but am wondering if the B1 can handle 33v ok.

Last edited:
B1 transformed

Hi all,
I’ve recently built a B1 using a Pass DIY PCB and have been listening and experimenting with different capacitors. I have tried some audio grade MKP types from Maplin on their own and with low value (100nF) bypass caps and also some Mundorf aluminium – oil types from Hifi Collective wih and without the bypass capacitors. All combinations sound different with the ally – oil types on their own sounding nicest.
The B1 is powered using a simple linear regulator circuit with a John Linsley Hood shunt regulator across it giving about 18.6 volts. I am quite a fan of these shunt regulators and have been using a pair on the supply to a Linsley Hood discrete component shunt feedback phono stage for nearly 20 years and they made an impressive improvement to the sound (using a low output moving coil cartridge) when I added them.
After initial listening I had to agree with KatieandDad’s opinion (in the B1 Builders thread) that the sound lacks excitement. It’s as if the “attack” and dynamic impact of the music is diminished. Also the stereo soundstage has somehow shrunk. I had a long listen and eventually re-connected my 26 year old (it’s older than I was when I bought it!) Audiolab 8000C preamp.
Since starting a two week summer break I’ve had loads more time to experiment and have since moved my speakers approximately 6 inches further into the room and put crosshead screws into the floorboards to locate the spikes into – they now feel far more stable and rigidly mounted. After lots and lots of hours further listening something remarkable has happened; the sound has become simply stunning and transparent. The attack and dynamic impact are better than ever and stereo soundstage is huge and most definitely 3D. Super smooth and highly detailed but without the bright slightly cold and clinical nature of the Audiolab. I’m using A40 class A monoblocks with KEF Q7 speakers.
I am starting to think that the mundorfs may have taken many, many hours of use before they started to sound any good. Has anyone else used these capacitors in a B1 and noticed this effect? Also, KatieandDad, did you manage to get your B1 sounding good?
Now, I think I’d better get around to making a decent case for my B1 now its performing good!
Regards,
Earthloop

Attachments

• DSC_0227.jpg
    DSC_0227.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 539