B1 Buffer Preamp

No problem for B1 to drive the F5 .I mean after a standard cd player there is no need to more voltage gain . Unless the tracks are recorded at very low levels , and your speakers are under 90 db of sensitivity .

With the F3 very good . I tryed for a long time the buffer ( for blues ) inside the feedback loop , but B1 is much better , leaving the F3 as it is. .

tschrama said:
I just wanted to post this link...

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/54/index.html

the B1 is in good company of another DIY classic..

Since I still have those BUF-03s lying around.. I am going make a both and compare..only trouble is to find some cheap enclosures and pots and sockets.. etc etc...

Don’t waste your time and Money with BUF, it’s a joke. Well, at least to the level we aim today.
:bigeyes:

A odd, perhaps naive question...

I'm interested in building this particular preamp but I'm concerned about being able to drive it with my analog front-end gear and still have enough 'oomph' for my amp and speakers. For the record, I'm currently running the following:

Front-end (approximately 300mV output)
Denon DL103R --> Denon AU310 --> Gram Amp 2 SE

Amp + Speakers
Dynaco ST35 (modified) through Klipsch Heresy II (main)
Hsu Research STF2 (sub)

I'm not worried about my CD player or tuner as they appear to have enough output to spare, but I am concerned that the 300mV won't be sufficient - especially given Dick Olsher's comments in his review - to drive the load.

Any comments on whether or not this would be a good or poor match?

Thanks!

-Derek

mlloyd1 said:
do you have any larger, color pics of the AL-1?
i like how this looks.
ok, call me weird ....
:)

Why thank you.

No, no larger color pics. I had a color 8 x 10 but some years ago I gave it to a friend to scan for me and he lost it. I still have a 4 x 5 color transparency here somewhere and I may get that professionally scanned someday. But for now, I just have an 8 x 10 black and white.

Here's a larger black and white.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se