B1 Buffer Preamp

I'm looking at transformers and they rate them for the secondaries wired in parallel and series -- with series having twice the voltage rating.

How do you wire them in parallel? How about series? I looked online and couldn't find any wikis.

Is the B1 better off with 18V or 9V + 9V? :xeye:

thanks for the help

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
marc brown said:

Is the B1 better off with 18V or 9V + 9V? :xeye:

I know that B1 will work happily if receives 18-24VDC from any external power supply.

I understand that you are going to use a transformer having 2 x 18Vac secondary (18Vac in paralleling) or 2 x 9Vac secondary (18Vac in series), to get the recommended 18-24Vdc. And, I think that anyone is equally okay.

Hoping I understood your question correctly . . .

Cheers,

>>:)<<

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Re: power switch?

merlin2069er said:
Just wondering if I should add a power switch to the B1. I know it wouldn't hurt.

I'm also conflicted about getting great hookup wire for the B1. Please let me know what a reasonable quality and gauge would be.

Thanks,
JG

If you look on partsconnexion there's all kinds of hookup wire.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/wire.html

KIMBER TCSS is only about $1 ft. You can go crazy with AGSS silver wire but it's expensive.

LT Spice

I am learning LT Spice at the moment.
So I decided to a spice model of the B1.
However looking at the distortion profile, their is mainly 3rd Harmonic distortion with no 2nd Harmonic.
This seems a little strange as I didn't see Nelson talk about their being any 3rd Harmonic.
Anywy has anyone else modeled this circuit?

The way I measured it, was with the following parameters (feel free to correct me on anything):
- Voltage input amplitude of +/- 1V (ie 2V p-p)
- Volume setting at 12 O'clock using 25k linear pot
- Load = 47k resistive load
- DC Power = 18V

I am a little unsure of the CD Player spec. Is it 2V rms, 2V amplitude, or 2V p-p?

Anway have a look at the attachment.

PS This is an awesome tool for understanding circuits.

I've just finished my cardboard box version of the B1, using NP's DIY board. I have mostly used standard components with the exception of my favorite film caps - obbligato. The 10uF are rather large so it doesn't look as neat as the original does, but who cares about looks! The only pot I had laying around was a 50k alps, but I understand that some prefer lower values. I know that my DAC sounds better with 10k than 50k in my aleph P (SE version with 10k on the input).

So far the sound is impressive, and I am not certain if I want to reconnect my aleph P. Now I need to improve the PSU...I've just done it real simple - a 22000uF after the rectifier brigde.

Thank you mr. Pass yet again! :angel:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: LT Spice

thanh1973 said:
I am learning LT Spice at the moment.
So I decided to a spice model of the B1.
However looking at the distortion profile, their is mainly 3rd Harmonic distortion with no 2nd Harmonic.
This seems a little strange as I didn't see Nelson talk about their being any 3rd Harmonic.
Anywy has anyone else modeled this circuit?

The way I measured it, was with the following parameters (feel free to correct me on anything):
- Voltage input amplitude of +/- 1V (ie 2V p-p)
- Volume setting at 12 O'clock using 25k linear pot
- Load = 47k resistive load
- DC Power = 18V

I am a little unsure of the CD Player spec. Is it 2V rms, 2V amplitude, or 2V p-p?

Anway have a look at the attachment.

PS This is an awesome tool for understanding circuits.

I did run some actual FFT through B1 when I made mine and the even order was dominating odd order in all orders. It also distorted the less, the more I turned the volume clockwise.

CD is about 6V P-P.

Re: Re: LT Spice

folkeb said:
I've just finished my cardboard box version of the B1, using NP's DIY board. I have mostly used standard components with the exception of my favorite film caps - obbligato. The 10uF are rather large so it doesn't look as neat as the original does, but who cares about looks! The only pot I had laying around was a 50k alps, but I understand that some prefer lower values. I know that my DAC sounds better with 10k than 50k in my aleph P (SE version with 10k on the input).

So far the sound is impressive, and I am not certain if I want to reconnect my aleph P. Now I need to improve the PSU...I've just done it real simple - a 22000uF after the rectifier brigde.

Thank you mr. Pass yet again! :angel:

Are there any B1 boards currently available? Or maybe you made your own?

Thanks for that Salas.

Did you use LTSpice to do your FFT measurents, or were they real measurements performed with a distortion analyzer?

Anyway here is the attachment.

Attachments

• distortion.jpg
    distortion.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,338