F5 power amplifier

cviller said:
Now try to crank up the resistance on P1 and P2 - this should give you some current through R11 and R12, but be careful... to my understanding you have no heat sink attached! :hot:
I did that with fan blowing on the mosfets, increaing resistance across 2 solder points of pots from 50 ohm to 200 ohm, but the voltage across R11 and R12 remain 0mv. Any idea?

almost finished :)

checked all traces, changed some footprints and traces, added mounting holes...

comments are still welcome!

cheers

c.

Attachments

• pcb f5.jpg
    pcb f5.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,591
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You are ok as well, but if you I have seen most people flip peter daniels boards the other way around.

It almost doesn't matter how you orient Peter's boards for the F4 as the outputs are so gobbed together.

But for the F5 with only two MOSFETS, one on each side probably IS pretty optimal...

I'm thinking I could make one of my Burning Amp cases into a four channel F4 to use balanced for two channels, then convert my current F4 towers into the F5's with cultures' boards that would just bolt on.

Good marketing feature culture! And the board looks lovely to me, but I haven't traced it out. I'd order a pair if they were made available..

Variac said:
Good marketing feature culture! And the board looks lovely to me, but I haven't traced it out. I'd order a pair if they were made available..

Hi Variac

Since ordering 10 sets is as expansive as 2 sets i think it should be possible to make a few sets available.... it might take a while before they are finished because this PCB designing thing is a new adventure to me. Still have to figure out if i didn't make stupid mistakes (non existing hole sizes or what ever) and where to order (looking at pcbcart.com at the moment) what specs the boards should have (thickness, surface finish...).

And one more thing, i'll be going on an other new adventure tomorrow.. riding waves in Morocco ;) never done that before :rolleyes:

btw, this is what the pcb looks like right now, moved most traces to the bottom and a few other minor changes

Attachments

• f5 pcb.jpg
    f5 pcb.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,891
Joined 2006
Paid Member
labjr said:
Culture, I still feel the outputs should be farther apart for better heat dissipation as you can see on the original F5.

Hi labjr,

My guess is that if six fets in an F4 on the same size board works fine this shouldn't be a problem either, i could be wrong though...
In post #2136 you can see a picture of the sinks i use and i think the fet placement isn't that bad this way. I also have a few heatsinks witch are more stretched out, i might use a few extension wires to place them further apart (if i decide to build an other F5).

cheers,

c.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
speaker efficiency...is it critical?

Reading the Pass Labs forums has me jazzed!

Build on my B1 has been slow since the birth of my soon a few weeks ago, but I'm almost there.

I'm confused about the discussions regarding speaker efficiency and I'm not sure if the F5 will be adequate to drive my Spica TC-50s. They were rated at 84 dB/W/m at nominal 4 ohm impedance. This doesn't sound like a whole lotta efficiency.

The F5 sounds tantalizing to build, but will my Spicas sound pfffft with the F5 powering them?:xeye:

Re: speaker efficiency...is it critical?

sonidos said:
Reading the Pass Labs forums has me jazzed!

Build on my B1 has been slow since the birth of my soon a few weeks ago, but I'm almost there.

I'm confused about the discussions regarding speaker efficiency and I'm not sure if the F5 will be adequate to drive my Spica TC-50s. They were rated at 84 dB/W/m at nominal 4 ohm impedance. This doesn't sound like a whole lotta efficiency.

The F5 sounds tantalizing to build, but will my Spicas sound pfffft with the F5 powering them?:xeye:

That's about the least efficient speaker I've ever seen. I almost bought a pair of them once. I would think you'd need more power.

However, some amplifiers sound surprisingly louder than their ratings would have you believe. I'm not sure if the F5 is one of them.