F5 power amplifier

> what's wrong with assembling using copper wire, solid core or stranded?
> Too much inductance?

Partly. But partly also that the PCB provides mechanical support to hold the 20 pcs together.

The ripple current in a 100W Class A amp at 8A bias can be easily 40A or higher. Any finite resistance in the connecting wires between the caps will result in unequal current sharing. That is why there are also current balancing resistors (0R1 1W per cap) on the back side of the PCB to make sure of current equalising for the first stage after the rectifiers. For the 2nd & 3rd stage (in CRCRC), the ripple currents are much lower, and one can consider direct connections instead.

Patrick

Thinking about PSU size for dual mono F5, what can and cant you do.

I was thinking going for less total capacity but instead focusing on ripple current and low ESR.

NP is using 2 x 15mF/25V Pana TS-UP as 1st cap in his stereo PS. Each one is rated for 4.63A@120Hz, in total >9A.
Not that much for 2.6 DC A continiously drawn. Nonetheless any cap (or bank of caps) exceeding this data should be ok.

Do some simulation or measurement to find out how high the ripple current is.

The standard F5 has relatively low bias at 1,3A, so you can get away with something like 5A ripple spec.
For the F5X, you would need at least double. The result of tight margin on ripple current is reduced cap lifetime.

All engineering compromises.

Patrick

This is how I imagined doing it. Give or take a cap.

The question then reamins, what values in the R are optimal.

Attachments

• Powersupply CRCRC.png
    Powersupply CRCRC.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 517
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ah, yes

TS-UP is rated a lower heat, hence also better current rating

this looks like anice one, and affordable Digi-Key - P6924-ND (Manufacturer - ECO-S1VP333EA)

but if ypou want the real stuff in terms of exstreme long life at high heat ratings, its screw caps
look at can size
I have found 35 x 80mm to be a favourable size
but Im sure snap-in's will last very long too
how hot do they really get
Im sure that good current ratings will keep them cooler

btw, Im planning to mount my caps inside a convection "cooling tower"
"cooling tower" is open at the bottom
fresh air from outside will flow past the caps
this way I hope to keep most of the hot air away from the caps

Attachments

• F5 cooling towe.JPG
    F5 cooling towe.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 505
what values in the R are optimal.

R increases power supply impedance, you want to keep R low.

R decreases ripple on rails, so you want R high.

Choosing R needs a little experience as you should know what ripple on rails is acceptable for you and that also depends on the amp (PSRR), your speakers (high efficiency...), your listening habits and what not.

In the end, there's so many caps, your supply would also do great without R. However, startup current is massive then, so use something like 0.1-0.47 R.

Have fun, Hannes