F5 power amplifier

Nelson Pass said:

Do you have the serial # of the F5?

Sorry Nelson should have said these were both diy efforts and not one of yours. Perhaps I'm paying the price.

Have measured, as best I know how, no DC off the DAC, and 0.04V at the amps outputs with no signal flowing. This OK?

Thanks
Bvan

the F5 has otherwise been sounding very good - transparent and fast.

f5 mods and bias

Pill
yes I run 1ohm (vs .47 ohm) source resistors at .59 vdc bias at 90 degrees ferinheit
My earlier post was meant to point you at basic trouble shooting as opposed to revising the circuit- the next post after your question pointed you to changing the bias resistors-I think this is a mistake -too many changes making it hard to find the problem-
my f5 runs nicely with the changes that I have noted before following NP's suggested feedback modification and Peter Daniels(and others) suggestions on removing the current limiting(caveat empetor!).
if your power supply is properly wired and your board layout is correct-n channel and p channel devices where they should be, you should be able to raise the bias by fiddling with the 5k ohm pots.
good luck
rob

Re: f5 mods and bias

rob lenk said:
Pill

my f5 runs nicely with the changes that I have noted before following NP's suggested feedback modification and Peter Daniels(and others) suggestions on removing the current limiting(caveat empetor!).
rob

Hello, after getting completely sidetracked for about a year -- someone once said life is what happens while we are making plans -- I'm finally getting my F5 (and F4, and Pumpy/Shunty) projects going again.

Could some kind soul point toward Mr. Pass' post about feedback modification, and PDs post about current limiting removal? With 170 pages and 4200+ posts (!!) I keep getting lost!

Thanks,

Steve Z
still near Libby, Montana

Re: Re: f5 mods and bias

zettelsm said:

Could some kind soul point toward Mr. Pass' post about feedback modification, and PDs post about current limiting removal?

Moreover, just in case you decided to keep the current limiter, mr. Pass suggested to rise R21 and R22 from 10k to 22k

While, if you want to remove it, delete R17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22. Then Q5 and 6

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• big hs.jpg
    big hs.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,019
My new (second) F5 is singing on the bench.

As i had no 2x 18v xformer on hand but a 2x36v only, i had to build this PSU which i must say works as well as the normal one.
This is not my idea but inpired from Quad 406 PSU.
I already used it with class AB amps, it is the first class A trial.

Attachments

• dscn20611.jpg
    dscn20611.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 964