My Pearl Phono Section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• ps_complete_small.jpg
    ps_complete_small.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,868
I'm using an EMI filter and a AC inlet with built-in fuse socket. The power supplies grounds will be connected inside the preamp directly at the ground lug. The power cable is also shielded using two complete separate pairs, one per supply. A screw terminal is used to connect all of the transformer wires, the AC input lines and the EMI filter.

Attachments

• ps_inside details_3_small.jpg
    ps_inside details_3_small.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,967
Thanks for your nice comments. The led resistor is 10K. I also added a resistor of 33K, 1/2W under the big 10000uF cap to drain the supply after power down. I already burn my nice side-cutter blade because I discharged by accident the big cap with it...

To install the led header and resistor, I made sure that one pin of the header was solder to the V+ trace and that one led of the resistor was connected to the GND pcb trace. Then the other resistor leg hold the header other pin. It is working well. The PCB seems to be original...See the image for details.

For the one that want to know the enclusure is from Hammond. It is tough, rather nice looking, easy to work with and shield the transformer stray field because it is made of steel. You can get it easily from Digikey, Part No: HM336-ND.

Attachments

• ps_led detail.jpg
    ps_led detail.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,793
I built an ONO preamp for my main system prior to this one. In the ONO, the separate dual mono supplies are connected together inside the power supply, then to the chassis through a CL-60. Then the ONO chassis is is connected to the supply chassis using the power cable shield. The GND lug on the ONO is connected to the chassis. So, the power gnd is floating and is referenced to the AC outlet power ground only through the CL-60 normally high-impedance. But all the chassis are grounded.

I can send you a schematic of the complet interconnect if you want.

For the Pearl, I would like to try something different. The external supply has the two independant rectifier/cap PCB, then the two +45V ar sent separately to each Pearl preamp PCBs (the supply casing is grounded to the power gnd). Then, I will connect each PCB star gnd point (marked "Connect Ground Here" in the middle of the PCB) to the insulated GND lug. I will also connect the preamp enclosures to this gnd. So the GND lug will be the connection point for all the GND. I'll see what is the result.

Hi Algar,

I'm very interesting in your schematic, If you want you can mail it to me.

I think that the ground connection you would do for the pearl, is the same as I did.

first the gnd lug was insulated from chassis, but after a while I connected both, because there was a little hum.

thanks.
Peter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.