My Pearl Phono Section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here the Pearl enclosure. It is recycling of two computer printer port switches. These boxes were very nicely made of strong alu extrusion with nice powder paint. However, the color was the tame computer beige, not very exciting. And the just one channel fits into one box, so I needed two of them. I painted in the case in grey metallic color then connected both boxes using a piece of maple. They are hold in place strongly by 4 stainless steel bolts. I use matching wood veneer on front to hide the original awfull front panel. A blue led will light in the middle.

Attachments

• case front_small.jpg
    case front_small.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 965
Here a detail of one channel. The gnd lug can be seen just under the power connector. The enclosure has a nice PCB slot already built-in. I mounted the PCB on a piece of bare PCB (grounded to the case in the slot). To mount the preamp, just insert the PCB, connect the wires and you're done. The wires are long enough that the PCB can be probed outside the case for testing. As said before the GND lug has two wires, one per PCB, conencte to each PCB star gnd point.

Attachments

• case inside_one channel_small.jpg
    case inside_one channel_small.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 953
Hi. Just to report that I'm listening to my new re-installed music system (moved house this summer, you know a lot of boxes to go through, lost stuff...). I have a classic Thorens TD124, SME 3009 tonearm with Shure V15VxMR (one of the classic light tonearm/cartridge, high compliance rig) and the PhonoClone3. This setup is different from the LP12/Ittok/DL103/PhonoClone3 I have running at the moment. It is very silent as the PhonoClone3 (I'm using only the MM section of the Pearl at the moment, so it has a lower gain as well).

Thanks Promitheus for this nice kit, and Pass Labs DIY, Nelson Pass and Wayne Colburn for sharing their great design.

and sorry Zen Mod, it may looks ugly to you but sounds just great with no hum or noise ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comment. These enclosures are recycled printer selection switch boxes. They were just too nice to trow away. But too small to mount both channels in just one box. This is when the idea to mount two boxes using some kind of spacer came in. I also needed some way to route the power connector, GND and power indicator, without disturbing each channel. This is why I mounted them on the central section.

And I wanted to make something that look different for a change. I did :p

What puzzles me that many (most?) people put those white Mundorf caps into their Pearls (and PSU). To my ears they absolutely ruin the quality of the unit and add some kind of mechanical harshness. Of course your milage will vary.....

I just didn't know any better when I built my Pearl. I'm all for trying something else. Are the Russian PETP's you reference the K73-16's?

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.