Jfet BOZ

Do you happen to have the exact schematic you used?

This schematic

6223731392_3dcb3af1d8_z.jpg

This schematic

6223731392_3dcb3af1d8_z.jpg

I played around with your ideas and came up with some valuable modifications:
(there's a very nice power curve and decent gain)

Attachments

• J310 BOZ Carpenter.PNG
    J310 BOZ Carpenter.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,318
  • J310 BOZ voltages.PNG
    J310 BOZ voltages.PNG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,286
  • J310 BOZ current.PNG
    J310 BOZ current.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,218
  • J310 BOZ power curve.PNG
    J310 BOZ power curve.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 221
Joined 2000
Paid Member
BOZ-J - A listening Impression - Replaced Attenuator

For sometime now I was using a P.E.C. pot in the BOZ-J.
Althought it the P.E.C. pot sounded good, it was noisy/scratchy from the minute it was installed. It never cleared up and rotating the pot back and forth to clear the scratchiness was usless.

It was replaced with a parallel 24-stepped attenuator from 8Audio.com.
It uses 1% metal film resistors of an unknown brand. They look like standard Xircon color coded 1% metal film resistors. I suspose an email to the pot manufacture would reveal the brand of resistor. The attenuator is well built and small enough to fit inside a 1.5" high case with some clearance for small, flexible wiring for the in, out, ground connections.

From a cold start of all equipment, there was an improvement. After warm up, it was evident that stepped attenuators are the real thing. To describe the sound: everything was more fluid, had bit more resolution and had a bit deeper soundstage and it made most music more involving. The layers of instruments was better defined. I also noticed a bit wider sound stage beyond the speaker's outer edge.

For a small, simple, easy to build pre-amp, it continues to deliver better sound when upgrading components. It's hard to believe.

Vince

Last edited: