This is the schematic provided by pcb seller

Attachments

• schema.png
    schema.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 705
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
thare are not marked test points on schm and I can't decipher from pcbs what's in case

anyway - triple check values of all zeners , their orientation on pcb , same as resistor values

across each zenner diode (D2-D5) there must be 4V

what's that value 4V ??? 3V9 is standard ..... and that difference is irrelevant

there must be around 16V at Q1 gate , so around 12V a t drain , going to audio circuit

Here you have good view of the PCB, still need to find out the 16+ point on the schematic. Edit; if I look correct one +16 is between r6 and r4

Did some measurement. The zeners read a little less than 4volts. I measured between green points also between D1-D2 etc. I can see it sums up from D1 17.17 to 29.7 D5.

Only thing I don't understand why it is 8.9v at the checking points. Must find out it I need to use less or more zeners.

Sorry I have no background in electronics. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 613
  • s-l1600-(1).jpg
    s-l1600-(1).jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 512
  • pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
check zener string to have 16V across (thats also voltage across C7), then you'll have 12V at mosfet's drain

current through zeners is OK , but they are off value

you can also just add one more ( of those shitty ones) in series

you can combine different values of zeners , as long you get 16 to 16V5 as final voltage across them

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Are you sure the correct value zeners are used?

You're getting about 12.8V across the zeners Z2 to Z5. Subtract the Vgs of the Q1 (~4V) and the 8.9V C2 voltage is reasonable.

My guess is that if your goal is to get around 16V to the jfet circuitry then you need
to change the zeners to sum up to closer to 20V. And you may want to decrease
R1 to make sure the zeners have enough current to give a stable voltage.

Cheers,
Dennis

Edit: It looks like the great ZM has already answered.

Gain and distortion of J110/2SK170BL BOZ-J

I am currently using a choke loaded BUZ900P MOSFET follower output stage with choke-loaded 6E5P tube linestage and getting very good results . It would be nice to try an all-SS setup which I have not used since the early 1990's

Would a BOZ-J be suitable in place of the 6E5P linestage ? I need approx. gain of 10 or more and around 10VRMS maximum and wondering what sort of performance a BOZ-J would offer . I can't seem to find specs on the thread with regards to distortion . I have 2SK170BL and J110 available .

cheers

316a