My Transistors, original or copy? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2007, 09:06 PM   #61
sbrook is offline sbrook  Canada
diyAudio Member

One of the other problems in the "fake" market is the manufacture of "onspec" devices. A company goes to a manufacturer and asks them to do a run of say 100,000 unlabelled NPN and specify the simplest factors like VCE HFE and Dissipation.

Then they go and label them themselves with comparable type part numbers. Sometimes they're OK in the end user app. other times they're a disaster.

One of the clues with the "nonumber" parts is a different printing for the date code and the label. But you can't rely on that either, because a lot of transistors are similar and are manufactured from the same basic dies and are then selected and labelled according to the tests.

It's like buying in the "interchange" market. There are subtle differences between similar numbers, like BC182, BC183 and BC184 (BC107, 108 and 109) transisitors, but you'll often find them all under a single interchange number which for many applications, they are, but with different VCE and HFE and gain bandwidth products, you could come unglued.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:01 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Is it possible that there also are fake TO92 devices? I recently got a couple of 2sa1123 transistors, to replace a couple of noisy input-stage 2sa942 ones. I got about 8 or so in total. A few were dead on arrival, a few died after installing, and the ones that do work, have widely differing Hfe values.

These are the original and the replacement:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th March 2007, 03:19 PM   #63
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi halfgaar,
The new transistor is okay for a sub, but I would have used 2SA872 instead.

With a wide gain spread and high failure rate, I would say those are either copies or factory rejects.

-Chris
Old 7th March 2007, 03:43 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

2sa1123 is manufactured by Panasonic (Matsushita) and has the standoff blips on the leads and a factory lead offset like the 2SA942 you took out. Your 2SA1123 has neither. I'd say it is a fake since it appears that it doesn't even meet the specs.

Moreover, Panasonic has superceded the A1123 with the A1123S
Old 7th March 2007, 04:10 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
2sa1123 is manufactured by Panasonic (Matsushita) and has the standoff blips on the leads
What exactly are standoff blips?

Quote:
and a factory lead offset like the 2SA942 you took out
Like so?:

edit: I assume the 2SA872 also has an offset middle pin?

Quote:
Moreover, Panasonic has superceded the A1123 with the A1123S
Since when is this?
Old 7th March 2007, 04:28 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Not quite ...

Look at your A942 ...

The outer two legs bend outwards and then down. That's actually done in the transistor production and not during assembly into a board. This appears to be standard on Matsushita (Panasonic) TO92 case transistors.

Then also as you come out of the bottom of the A942, the legs get fatter and then thinner again (blips). This is so that the transistor cannot seat all the way down on the board when inserted into a PCB (It "stands off" the PCB)

See here ... http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/...JC00011BED.pdf
Old 7th March 2007, 08:40 PM   #67
diyAudio Moderator

Hi sbrook,
Lead forming occurs when components are supplied taped. Bulk transistors are typically straight with no bends. Component insertion machines need the bends done before they ram the part into the PCB. Just because the leads are not formed does not mean they are fakes.

I use offset pliers to form the leads into that shape.

The 2SA872 matches the specs of your 2SA942 more closely.

-Chris
Old 7th March 2007, 08:55 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Lead forming occurs when components are supplied taped. Bulk transistors are typically straight with no bends. Component insertion machines need the bends done before they ram the part into the PCB. Just because the leads are not formed does not mean they are fakes.
What about the standoff blips?
Old 7th March 2007, 10:19 PM   #69
diyAudio Moderator

Hi halfgaar,
Quote:
What about the standoff blips?
That's just a crimp. Special order I suspect. It's the same thing, parts supplied on tape for automatic insertion. Bulk parts are supplied with straight leads generally.
Old 7th March 2007, 10:55 PM   #70
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Quote:
Originally posted by halfgaar
Is it possible that there also are fake TO92 devices? I recently got a couple of 2sa1123 transistors, to replace a couple of noisy input-stage 2sa942 ones. I got about 8 or so in total. A few were dead on arrival, a few died after installing, and the ones that do work, have widely differing Hfe values.

These are the original and the replacement:

I think that TO-92 devices have by far the largest fake market, although the quality sometimes is not as deceiving as with high power devices.

If some devices were faulty on arrival, you should return all them, get your money back and try another source. According to what you tell, all seem to be fakes (unless you managed to damage them in some unexpected way).

Hide this!Advertise here!