Black Gate 'super E' caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Has anyone here tried 'super E' configuration
of Black Gate N series caps?
I have read all the literature but cannot
understand how inductances can fully cancel
of a pair without the two caps occupying the same
physical space ie; having VH mutual inductance.

Is this snake oil or what?

PS I have also posted this on AA.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry Demol said:
Has anyone here tried .... Black Gate .... caps?

Is this snake oil or what?
I would not spend my money on any WET electrolyte called Black Gate or anything in that category of salesmanship.

This is a view that might cause a slight confusion and debate.
And probably cause disliking of me as a person.
But a person is not made up of only one view in one matter.

See also a simular statement of me:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=81349&highlight=OSCON#post81349

Terry,
The non-polar Blackgates have an outside foil. The outside foil is hooked up to the longer or shorter lead (probably the shorter). So when you hook two of them up in parallel and one of them with lead reversed they are suppose to cancel inductance. Not being an engineer, I cannot say how this works, but many people have tried it and claim the sound is improved. Try it and tell us what you hear.

Ric Schultz

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This is a view that might cause a slight confusion and debate.

Halojoy,

A view IMO is less worth than experience. Did you ever really try Black Gate ? I did and BG NX Hi Q ( what's in a name ) is the best electrolytic I ever used.
Apart from the marketing and the price( absurd, I know ) they are really comparable with film caps of the best quality. Something I certainly didn't believe before I tried them...

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Black Gate

Ahhhh... more expert advice from the uninformed.....

The Black Gate caps sound better than many very good film caps that I have heard. Even the STD and PK series sound better than most polypropylene film types. For those who don't believe this please don't try them, so you leave more of them for those of us dare to make up our mind AFTER we listen. By the way, 47uF and above values for film caps are practically non existant and sound pretty bad. I have used the OSCONs also but they are not as good as the Black Gates.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=BLACKGATE&Store_Code=RAM

neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet,
Fred

Ric Schultz said:
Terry,
The non-polar Blackgates have an outside foil. The outside foil is hooked up to the longer or shorter lead (probably the shorter). So when you hook two of them up in parallel and one of them with lead reversed they are suppose to cancel inductance. Not being an engineer, I cannot say how this works, but many people have tried it and claim the sound is improved. Try it and tell us what you hear.

Ric Schultz

Gedday Rick,

Good to see your still around. Yes, I was aware of the
supposed mechanisms of inductance cancellation but
couldn't quite see it happening in the 'real world',
since I figured they would have to occupy the same
space for it to work correctly.

Anyway, I am going to be putting them in a super
tricked out SET that is already very nice so I will
get back and post my results. I am just being catious
after spending a bomb on AN magnetic Tantalum R's
that sounded only marginally better than some very old
large Beyshlags.

Keep on tweekin'

Regards,

Terry

Hi all,

Before buy the very expensives Black Gate, please, wait to the last part of the article: "Sound of Capacitors?" that are actually published in Electronics World & Wireless World. You can save much money.

This final part (the six) expected are published in the first month of the next year. As are non published stuff, I cannot advance more.

Happy days,

Raúl Couto

jean-paul said:

Halojoy,

A view IMO is less worth than experience. Did you ever really try Black Gate ? I did and BG NX Hi Q ( what's in a name ) is the best electrolytic I ever used.
Apart from the marketing and the price( absurd, I know ) they are really comparable with film caps of the best quality. Something I certainly didn't believe before I tried them...

Thanks, yes I have tried the N series and also found
it very very good, however have yet to try the
super E config. Was hoping someone had done direct
comparison of 'super E' to same cap singular.

Terry

raul_77 said:
Hi all,

Before buy the very expensives Black Gate, please, wait to the last part of the article: "Sound of Capacitors?" that are actually published in Electronics World & Wireless World. You can save much money.

This final part (the six) expected are published in the first month of the next year. As are non published stuff, I cannot advance more.

Happy days,

Raúl Couto

Very interesting, I hope they find a cost effective alternative :)

Hi all,

Yes, in the last article are show a cheap alternative.

As I have colaborated (very lightly) I have all the articles.

As are logical I cannot say more until are published, sorry for the suspense, but I think are best wait, all can save a lot of money in capacitors.

As participant in this forum, and audio fan, I supposed that others can be interesting, this are the reason for advise.

Happy days,

Raúl Couto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.