DIY 40 step attenuator, anyone interested in such??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2004, 12:29 AM   #11
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: DIY 40 step attenuator, anyone interested in such???

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
To make such a description would take loads of time, so please take into account before answering that you will need at least a lathe and a drill press...and naturally some experience with both.

I have estimated the price for a DIY "no expense saved" 40 step attenuator to be around 100 USD for one layer, plus around 30 USD per layer of switches.
Magura

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

It may be a good idea to start with a list of required equipment to make such a switch?

Cheers,
Old 7th June 2004, 12:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tom1356
I have a 32 position Seiden I would like to replace. I'm in. The more wood in it the better.

No wood....aluminium, silver,copper and fibreglass.

Ohh, and read my last post as well

Magura
Old 7th June 2004, 01:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I finally got my first digi cam this friday, so a couple of pics is now an option.

The first part to be made is the die for cold forging the silver contact pins. The first photo is the die closed, the second is the die opened and the ejector pin laying next to.

The die is to be used in a press, or in the lack of such in a vise.

Magura
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed.jpg (32.4 KB, 445 views)
Old 7th June 2004, 01:31 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

And the second pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open.jpg (33.6 KB, 427 views)
Old 7th June 2004, 04:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Magura, I knew you had potential to do great things. I highly doubt that I would make such a fine thing, but I would greatly enjoy reading how you make one. Maybe enough other people would enjoy your tutorial enough that you may decide to do it for the glory? If you don't make a full blown tutorial on the subject, please post some pics of your work.

My uncle owned a small machine shop. I often wished he wasn't retired. I'd be his best nephew.
Old 8th June 2004, 12:30 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I guess the interst in actually building a rotary switch is not there, so Ill do as Brian Donaldson proposed and make a picture thread showing the progress of the project as it happens.

BrianGT have been so generous to set me up with a gallery entry on a NICE server, Ill post better pics there.

www.briangt.com/gallery/magura

Magura
Old 8th June 2004, 12:45 AM   #17
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Hmm, I guess the interst in actually building a rotary switch is not there, so Ill do as Brian Donaldson proposed and make a picture thread showing the progress of the project as it happens.

BrianGT have been so generous to set me up with a gallery entry on a NICE server, Ill post better pics there.

www.briangt.com/gallery/magura

Magura
Thanks for sharing your work with the forum. I am quite interested in your ideas and design.

--
Brian
Old 8th June 2004, 12:47 AM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your work with the forum. I am quite interested in your ideas and design.
Same here, Magura.

Keep them coming...

Cheers,
Old 8th June 2004, 01:55 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Hmm, I guess the interst in actually building a rotary switch is not there,

How did you figure that interest is not there? I, for one, am very curious with what you will come up with.

I think not too many people has much experience with building such thing, so they just await your pics.

From my experience, I don't think you need anything more than 800x600 to show any detail.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th June 2004, 02:05 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

How did you figure that interest is not there? I, for one, am very curious with what you will come up with.
As far as im concerned there are a handfull of people on DIYaudio that are actually able to make such a thing, and none of those people have shown any interest

Im sure lots of people are curious what this is, but the interest in actually making one seems to be rather limited...thats what I meant with it, not that Im not going to make one, cause I sure will as I need a few.

As I wrote in an earlier post, the reason for asking if anybody is isnterested in actually making a switch, is that it will take a LOT of work to make drawings that are any good to anybody but myself. No reason to make such if nobody is going to actually have any need for such. Then a pic thread is less work and just as good.

Magura

Hide this!Advertise here!