DIY 40 step attenuator, anyone interested in such???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BrianGT said:

They have 0.016" sheets of grade 5, which google tells me is 0.4064 millimeters

--
Brian

My calculator (and lately my brain as well) agrees with you...dunno why, but everytime I get in touch with imperial units things tend to go south :(

6*6*0.016 is not a bad option. I honestly would prefer wire though (just to be a pain now that I can get sheet) ;)

Peter: The material is needed for the arm thats to connect the slider with the axle and work as a spring (rotary switch...im sure youve taken such apart at some point).

Magura:)

Brass, steel and the like goes tired over time. Another reason for using titanium is that the elaticity is much higher, so its somewhat easier to make a liniar action spring.

The mating contact materials should also be different, so for the contact I intend to use CuBe2.5 as its readily awailable and seems to suit the purpose. You must never make 2 pieces of the same material and hardness slide against eachother, it will make heavy wear and loads of abrasion and the like as a consequence of that.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Bi-metal contacts aren't exactly ideal either when there some voltage on them, remember?

Cheers,;)

True, but of two evils, I prefer the galvanic issue over a guaranteed slow death. The only solution to this would be to use a piece of solid platinium....which is unfortuantely rather expensive :( unless you have something up your sleeve I have overlooked??

Cello is probably out of business now. It was a company started by Mark Levinson. You might try to search under Cello Music System. Here's the pic of their attenuator.

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 209
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

When the whole thing is sealed, I dont see much reason for spending another 200USD for platinum for the contacts ??

Errrr...How much is it you think this whole thing is going to cost on materials and manhours again?
Price for a mono unit is O.K, $ or Euros too...
You can even use my one of my tooth fillings if it reduces cost...:devilr:

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Errrr...How much is it you think this whole thing is going to cost on materials and manhours again?
Price for a mono unit is O.K, $ or Euros too...
You can even use my one of my tooth fillings if it reduces cost...:devilr:

Cheers,;)

The total price of a stereo switch would end up between 1000 and 1500 USD if Id just go out and have it all made and paid by the hour. So you see, its not likely to be a mega seller :D

The material cost is a fraction of that...I know, but considering this switch would have material cost like 200USD for a stereo, adding another 200USD for something thats not going to make any difference....seems like a lot of money then :(

Did I understand your question right?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Did I understand your question right?

I'd like to think so...but:

adding another 200USD for something thats not going to make any difference....

What's not going to make any difference? The platinum?
Dunno about you but I'd rather use coinsilver than platinum at that price.
$200,00 in production costs is a truckload % wise IMHO.

Lotsa peanuts indeed. :xeye:

Cheers, ;)

\using Hg wetted reed relays ages ago already...

fdegrove said:

What's not going to make any difference? The platinum?
Dunno about you but I'd rather use coinsilver than platinum at that price.
$200,00 in production costs is a truckload % wise IMHO.

Lotsa peanuts indeed. :xeye:

Cheers, ;)

\using Hg wetted reed relays ages ago already...

Oups..I realize Im talking in riddles...yes I meant the platinum.

200USD is a whole lot of bottle collecting in the local park ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.