Perhaps this is an Australia only problem - Shipping from edcor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please excuse the comment but the underlying problem is using output transformers. Once upon a time in Oz were A&R and Ferguson who make good output trannies. Fifty years ago I used both and built Williamson, Mullards and other similar designs. However times change. Now its JLH and Hiraga class A transistor amps that sonically outperform valve amps. Move on!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I appear to be time travelling backwards then! I started with a silicon chip uld amp, then moved on to a doz, and then a couple of first watt designs, and then I got curious to build a tube amp!

I'm going to ghetto build a RLD using 100V line transformers as output transfo's and a random couple of power transformers I've inherited. But I'd thought to build something nice to see what it's all about... Suffice to say big heatsinks and unobtanium transistors look really reasonably priced now. :)

Please excuse the comment but the underlying problem is using output transformers. Once upon a time in Oz were A&R and Ferguson who make good output trannies. Fifty years ago I used both and built Williamson, Mullards and other similar designs. However times change. Now its JLH and Hiraga class A transistor amps that sonically outperform valve amps. Move on!
Transistor is absoleted due bad sound, the momentum is Class D, PWM, PDM.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi there,
Multi - i might be ok actually (although it'd be nice to meet a fellow Diyaudio-er anyway!) The polish connection got back with a pretty nice quote, so that looks like a goer.

I've still my training wheels on to some degree with tube builds so if you've time to show me a couple of things, i might have some lovely wine or whisky about. :)

Tony, im afraid harbuch do indeed make great transformers and offer atrocious customer service. I have tried to spend rather a lot with them a couple of times to no avail, so lesson learned for me there. It's a shame, as I'd love to support a local manufacturer if i could.

Harbuch transformers have become very expensive they now even charge for design.
I have had a lot of trouble with Harbuch transformers.two went up in smoke nothing wrong with other parts; had several short out on the primary 240 volts; and they do not replace. had several that the bias voltages where not there the wires where and even then they would not replace; had to buy small transformer from Altronics.

The last one I got the Ht was much higher than ordered under load and regulation was poor

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's a shame. Last transformer I bought off them was a maybe three years ago. I've only bought two from them. One a 300VA torroidal for a Chip Amp and one a small torroidal for my preamp, both were in stock items and both were excellent.

Tony.

Unfortunately shipping from the US has become unusually expensive via USPS. The problem is political in nature. The USPS is controlled by congress, and in an act of congress in 2008, they added a requirement that the USPS prepay its pension obligations. This obligation not only covers current retirees, current employees, but also future employees. No other government entity has this requirement placed upon it.

This means the USPS must pay congress a substantial sum every year. To perhaps no-one's surprise, they do not put this money away for the purported purpose, but instead put it into general revenue to be spent as part of the annual federal budget. So, it's a burden that actually does not cover the problem.

The USPS raised prices in 2009 and again in 2016 to cover these obligations. A decision seems to have been made to minimize the cost penalty to US residents, so that the shipping costs have risen much higher on international parcels in proportion to domestic shipments.

However, the number of international shipments are falling as a result of the increases, so that another price hike is surely in the works.

This severely affects US business, as it is now much cheaper to ship from the UK, Australia, Canada or the EU than from the US today. I suggest you seek out suppliers in those nations if your domestic suppliers are inadequate.

By way of example, to ship USPS Priority International to Canada, the cost is 3+ times higher than to ship the same weight/volume from the UK, the EU, or even Australia. I can ship to the US from Canada a tracked/insured package for about ¼ of the cost of shipping the other way.

I have an account with a Customs Broker, who has offices on both sides of the border. So I have my US orders shipped to my broker in the US, who carries them across the border, and re-ships them to me, next day/tracked/insured. This costs me less than half of what it would had I shipped them directly to me in Canada.

Eg: my last order from Antec (transformers): Shipping was $US 14 plus $C 10. The quote to ship USPS to Canada was $US 80.00 ($C 107.64). Upon import I would have to pay 5% GST and a brokerage fee to Canada Post of $8. The GST would be based on the entire invoice, so $US 34 + 80 = $C 7.66 + $8 = $C 15.66; total $C 153.38 + 15.66 = $C 169; via my broker it was $C 39; total $C 60.54 + 39 = $C 99.54). A bonus was this is faster (5 days US domestic plus 1 day Canada domestic) than USPS to Canada by about a week.

With regard to transformers there is certainly some proprietary knowledge involved but it's not truly secrets. Also it is not particularly difficult to manufacture. In most countries there are local manufacturers you can seek out.

For example my cost for the US-made Antec was basically $C 100; I could also have bought Canadian-made transformers (eg: Plitron, although there are roughly 20 available manufacturers) for roughly the same price including taxes and shipping.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.