[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@rajesh: Steel cases can be much thinner and can be bent into various shapes over small radii. Thin aluminum is generally not stiff enough or is prone to ringing and rattling. In addition, >5mm walls can be tapped to take screws, for thinner panels one needs to have angled joinery workpieces. Thicker panels also resist warp while working the pieces, and since aluminum is less effective at shielding than steel slightly thicker panels help. Cases with thin panels and a thick aluminum decorative panel are only for effect, though.

It prevents external fields from entering your circuit, but the case has to be properly connected at the joints, without gaps.

Most mid-fi commercial amps, the likes of Denon, Technics, Yamaha, Onkyo etc have chassis with thickness of 1 to 1.5 mm. I've not opened too many hi-end amps except the likes of Parasound and Cary Audio Pre amps and the casing thickness AFAIS was 2 to 2.5 mm. But 6 mm appears to be a overkill by a great margin.

Thanks gogs.

The cost worked out to 16K for both cabinets inclusive of material, labour and delivery, but excluding all heatsinks and hardware.

Estimated hardware cost is between 4 and 5K for this level of parts, you can either go cheaper or more expensive as your budget allows. Remember the case is only 8" deep so if you go deeper (which mostly you will need to) the cost will increase a bit.

So - not cheap, but still cheaper than importing and the exact same quality :)

Hello Sangram,
What potentiometers are you using, are these Dact ones., I am looking to Input switching and Volume. Dact is very much out of my reach.

Joshua,

There are no known sources of chassis suppliers who will make the small quantities that DIYers require. However there are amny small fabrication shops that will make 1-2 chassis for a specific DIYers needs. Since shipping is a significant part of the cost of a chassis if indeed a chassis is shipped most of us in India find a local fabricator close to us. These fabricators are not organised nor do they have CNC machines but they are able to cater to our basic needs.

I tried to follow the thread, but it's too long. Is there a source for chassis/cases in India that someone from outside India can order?
Check Industrial Rack Manufacturer, 19? Racks, Cabinet, Ruggedised Racks, Ruggedised Racks for Defense System, Manufacturer & Supplier of Manufacture of Supplier of Mumbai, India

I don't know any non-Indian customer who has ordered racks from them, but I know Dinrack is a trustworthy and serious company.

I would tend to agree with Navin -- chassis are probably best sourced from a vendor physically close by, unless you know about a very specific chassis design that a specific vendor makes.

Hi all,

I am a newbie DIYer in Pune. I am planning to build a notch filter for sub-woofer bass management. This is my first experiment after a break of about 15 years, so amongst usual problems of having lost touch with electronics, finding suppliers is a tough problem. I'll make a separate post in this forum (parts) with detailed requirements.

Thanks.

Things have improved currently. I wouldn't say it is very good. U can buy parts on the net from element14 or RS components in India.
Both these sites look good. They don't seem to stock in India, though. Some of the amplifier chips I searched were stocked either in UK, Singapore or US. Their prices are shown in rupees and include usual taxes, so we don't have to worry about import duties etc. Shipping times aren't mentioned. Will they actually import them in a reasonable time (1 week) for an order of just 1 or 2 chips?

Greetings from Bangalore. After lots of frustration with attempts to get 1-off quality PCBs at DIY prices (for myself and my DIY customers), I finally devised my own solution. I have posted it under Vendor Bazaar titled "European Quality 1-off PCBs at DIY-Friendly Prices" today. You can also see the details on audesine.com under the Proto PCBs tab. I am taking the liberty to put this small post in this mighty useful thread for the Indian DIY community, which I have referred to on countless occasions. Questions welcome.
Cheers - Ramkumar

Both these sites look good. They don't seem to stock in India, though. Some of the amplifier chips I searched were stocked either in UK, Singapore or US. Their prices are shown in rupees and include usual taxes, so we don't have to worry about import duties etc. Shipping times aren't mentioned. Will they actually import them in a reasonable time (1 week) for an order of just 1 or 2 chips?

There is a catch with element14. You need to place a minimum order. I tried ordering two TDA7293 from element14, I was redirected to kitsnspares website saying I had too small an order. Haven't tried with RS yet.

I had also checked LM3886 with shops near Pasodya Vithoba, Budhwar peth, Pune. They'll get these chips from Mumbai in 1-2 days on an order with an advance. They won't give a quote on a phone. You have to go to the shop to make an order, at which time they'll call their Mumbai supplier and confirm a retail price. I felt like LM3886 is an extremely rare diamond that sells in 1-odd quantity in an year, so the shop doesn't have a quote and won't give a quote without ascertaining that a genuine buyer is requesting a quote .

I decided to wait till my next Mumbai visit, which is this weekend. I'll go to lamington road. Will post more information after that.

I tried ordering two TDA7293 from element14, I was redirected to kitsnspares website saying I had too small an order. Haven't tried with RS yet.

I had also checked LM3886 with shops near Pasodya Vithoba, Budhwar peth, Pune. They'll get these chips.

I just checked that element14's min order qty is 1 with both these chips. I recently bought the 3886 from them. They probably directed you to KitsnSpares because you do not have an "account" with element14.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.