Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2013, 08:17 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
experiencing this first hand as a direct seller, its usually those who want to pay the least that take up the most of my time educating them on their choices, generally they are the most demanding.
Hey!

Old 5th January 2013, 08:32 PM   #52
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
experiencing this first hand as a direct seller, its usually those who want to pay the least that take up the most of my time educating them on their choices, generally they are the most demanding.
Funny, that is at least a small part of why I am now out of the business and have not been induced successfully to jump back in..
Qusp, that is a very good insight..

Old 5th January 2013, 08:43 PM   #53
diyAudio Moderator

And the ones who complain the most aftersale as well. I've spent more time placating folks who spent £50 on a s/h mic than those that spend £5K on a mixing desk - "...But my C1000 has got an unbranded mic clip..."
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Old 5th January 2013, 08:55 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Great discussion lots of good points made!
manufacturing must have its tightest margins ever!
Hifi companies need to spend money on promotion so retailers will stock their products.
When we look at comparing diy to retail i think most of the difference is markup (retailers cant do it for less! )
That $500 product perhaps cost the shop $200 or less depending on quantity ordered.
That margin will in increase with luxury(like cars Ford dealers might only make $3k per unit whereas Merc dealers might make 10k).
It great being part of the diy scene , cutting out the markup and devoting the cash to our projects!!

Old 5th January 2013, 09:16 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Default plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

it seems not much has changed in the 5+ years since this article was published (March 2007).

I've been on friendly terms with a number of manufacturers and retailers since the mid 70's. Aside from new technology and the web; the story was just the same back then!

Old 5th January 2013, 09:21 PM   #56
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Hey!
haha, there is a percentage of those that I have a big hand in 'wasting' that time with, because their interests may align somewhat with mine; one of the downsides (and upsides) of doing business in a field that is aligned with my hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Funny, that is at least a small part of why I am now out of the business and have not been induced successfully to jump back in..
Qusp, that is a very good insight..
shutup... I try not to think about it

there is a flipside to that coin, those making the big orders are mostly just happy to take my recommendations almost unquestioned. they take up almost no time in the quoting process. they appreciate that time is money and recognise the single mindedness/passion it takes to do something really well. that is why they are paying me the premium dollars to do what they do not have the time, skills, knowledge or patience to do. usually these guys are referrals from repeat customers and take the time to give me positive feedback, photos of system integration (free promotional materials of the best kind for a bespoke manufacturer)

I need to work out how to foster more of this type of customer, but apart from just making them happy too, its VERY unpredictable.

ah I unfairly missed one; those that know exactly what they want and can articulate it to me in no time, even rarer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
And the ones who complain the most aftersale as well. I've spent more time placating folks who spent £50 on a s/h mic than those that spend £5K on a mixing desk - "...But my C1000 has got an unbranded mic clip..."
haha its like you read my mind... yes yes yes, thats part of the demanding, these guys are the quickest to send a follow up email when you havent answered within 24hrs to an email on a weekend and that will have no effect on the delivery timeline or outcome, or is asking for the possibility of changes to an order near completion.

Another favorite is asking for mail service whispering, when their countries EMS tracking is crap and the soonest delivery day has passed, but the latest is not even close... wheres my package? you said it would take X long..

Last edited by qusp; 5th January 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Old 6th January 2013, 12:35 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
If someone shells out $ 250 for a boutique cap and maintains that it transforms his HiFi to the very best, that's a good deal for him.
Who cares that the cap was a $ 0.75 mass produced item with a shiny jacket and gold-lettered rebranding?
Well, I care, for one.

What kind of fairytale world do you live in? One where it's OK to take a child and his single mother's only asset in return for a few magic beans?

When you see somebody getting beaten up in the street, you can walk on by.

Who cares, you say. That old guy probably wasn't a war hero who risked his life in the liberation of occupied Europe 60 years ago, and anyway, who cares?

If I take a shotgun and blow a load of gold-dust into the bank of a stream, and then sell that piece of land to some unsuspecting prospector, that's fraud.

Nowhere are consumer's rights more endangered than when buying hi-fi equipment. That's the point of the article, and no matter how you want to quibble about the details of how it was expressed, the point is well taken.

People are more at risk of being ripped off in this arena than in practically any other retail forum. I can think of a few other problem areas, but as they say, 'Two wrongs don't make a right.'

Publications which should empower consumers persist in propagating the very disinformation which enables these frauds. From those institutions I don't exclude diyaudio.

What we're talking about is: what is fair, and what is known to be true, beyond a reasonable doubt. (The test in civil cases)

Anybody remember the Corvair? Ralph Nader? Manufacturers and their salesmen do not have the right to mislead consumers. 'Anything goes' is not the way we run our civilization. Certainly not, 'Anything goes because profits depend on it'. Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it right. And just because an individual has a lot of money doesn't make it right either.

Are people being taken advantage of? The answer is unequivocally, 'yes.'

Is this a desirable state of affairs?

No.

Wash your hands of the responsibility if you can. Just try to bear in mind whose example you are following.

Old 6th January 2013, 12:51 AM   #58
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Hehe, next time a doctor gives you 20 minutes of his/her time and charges you $20,000 for it, you'll never complain about hi-fi ripoffs again!

Old 6th January 2013, 01:02 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

A fool and his money...

Old 6th January 2013, 01:06 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Yeah, those doctors are expensive. '-) My biggest cost, these days.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!