Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, next time a doctor gives you 20 minutes of his/her time and charges you $20,000 for it, you'll never complain about hi-fi ripoffs again!

I don't know what world you live in, but spouting lies (sorry, exaggerations) like this and villainizing physicians for sport is downright insulting. I spent 12 years of my adult life working 80+ hours a week and still work longer and harder than most to make 1/100 of your insult and what do I get? Hatred, envy, and sued. I suggest you rethink such blanket condemnations before you **** off the very doctor whose help you desperately need some day.

Well, I care, for one.

What kind of fairytale world do you live in? One where it's OK to take a child and his single mother's only asset in return for a few magic beans?

When you see somebody getting beaten up in the street, you can walk on by.

Who cares, you say. That old guy probably wasn't a war hero who risked his life in the liberation of occupied Europe 60 years ago, and anyway, who cares?

If I take a shotgun and blow a load of gold-dust into the bank of a stream, and then sell that piece of land to some unsuspecting prospector, that's fraud.

Nowhere are consumer's rights more endangered than when buying hi-fi equipment. That's the point of the article, and no matter how you want to quibble about the details of how it was expressed, the point is well taken.

People are more at risk of being ripped off in this arena than in practically any other retail forum. I can think of a few other problem areas, but as they say, 'Two wrongs don't make a right.'

Publications which should empower consumers persist in propagating the very disinformation which enables these frauds. From those institutions I don't exclude diyaudio.

What we're talking about is: what is fair, and what is known to be true, beyond a reasonable doubt. (The test in civil cases)

Anybody remember the Corvair? Ralph Nader? Manufacturers and their salesmen do not have the right to mislead consumers. 'Anything goes' is not the way we run our civilization. Certainly not, 'Anything goes because profits depend on it'. Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it right. And just because an individual has a lot of money doesn't make it right either.

Are people being taken advantage of? The answer is unequivocally, 'yes.'

Is this a desirable state of affairs?

No.

Wash your hands of the responsibility if you can. Just try to bear in mind whose example you are following.
You speak in ignorance of one who believes strongly in measured performance. Actually quite a few of the posters I would consider to be more performance based guys than voodoo types. But, they seem to also be willing to admit numbers are a part of the story. Profit is not evil. Do not attribute a human trait to an idea or object.

Here's a ~£300 Behringer monitor speaker
1330100908_41.jpg

I'm fairly sure this is the woofer they use:
The Madisound Speaker Store

Behringer appears to be using bass drivers that are made in house at their factory ( Behringer City !) in China . I'm not sure where that ribbon driver comes from .

Exactly, and that's not 'bad' in itself.
If someone shells out $ 250 for a boutique cap and maintains that it transforms his HiFi to the very best, that's a good deal for him.
Who cares that the cap was a $ 0.75 mass produced item with a shiny jacket and gold-lettered rebranding?
Value is exclusively determined by the buyer, NOT the seller, although ad people try their best.

jan

You really believe that this kind of practice is ethical? Its like taking vodka, adding some flavour and selling it for ten times the price as a cure for all that ails you. SNAKE OIL.

My software analyzer only measures 12dB dynamic range in my music collection, relative to average level.

I've also blind tested myself and found that my ears cannot detect clipping until it becomes very severe. Maybe this is why I could not max out the output of my 4W tube amp. It already becomes painfully loud at 3V rms into my 8ohm speakers, and the amp can get louder while remaining clean-sounding.

I urge everyone to play a 1kHz test tone at a level as loud as you can tolerate without wincing in pain, and measure the voltage at the speakers.

My software analyzer only measures 12dB dynamic range in my music collection, relative to average level.

I've also blind tested myself and found that my ears cannot detect clipping until it becomes very severe. Maybe this is why I could not max out the output of my 4W tube amp. It already becomes painfully loud at 3V rms into my 8ohm speakers, and the amp can get louder while remaining clean-sounding.

I urge everyone to play a 1kHz test tone at a level as loud as you can tolerate without wincing in pain, and measure the voltage at the speakers.

Now do that with 40 hz. You little amp will crap out in no time and you will definitley hear the clipping.

Here's some £1500 floorstanders*.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's the woofer they use.
830656 - Peerless SDS-134-THP 5.5 inch woofer coated paper - Europe Audio

Interesting - that driver looks to be the one I currently have in the two-ways in my system. The retail there is $22.36+VAT. Is VAT 20% now? If so that would make a pair of drivers come to almost 34UKP. My pair of speakers cost me around 58UKP, delivered :D The retail margins must still be appreciable.

<edit> To get back on-topic, the original is about Ashley James of AVI - he does look to me to be a pot calling other kettles black - his website shows a floor stander with just the two drivers in going for roughly double the above speaker.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
.... villainizing physicians for sport is downright insulting.
Doctors are cheap compared to dentists. I have keep track of how much it costs. About $1200 an hour, and that's being generous. That's the time in the chair, not the time the dentist is in the room. Supplies are extra.
No matter how you look at it, charging 60X the average wage is somewhat excessive.

Hi-Fi is entertainment. It's hard to put a value on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.