Aren't gold plated connectors supposed to be inoxidable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's how my "High-End" (according to the local store) RCA connectors look like.
I manipulated them with my fingers, and didn't touch them for 2 weeks

Now I can see my fingerprints on them, looks like oxidation. And it don't get away with acetone or alchool :(

Could this be "false' gold??

Attachments

• dscf0012.jpg
    dscf0012.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 436
Bricolo said:
That's how my "High-End" (according to the local store) RCA connectors look like.
I manipulated them with my fingers, and didn't touch them for 2 weeks

Now I can see my fingerprints on them, looks like oxidation. And it don't get away with acetone or alchool :(

Could this be "false' gold??

Could be. Real gold shouldn't do that. I suppose it's possible that there's no gold on it at all, just polished brass which looks strikingly similar to gold but when handled, can tarnish just as you show in the photograph.

Try dissolving a couple tablespoons of salt in about half a cup of vinegar and see if that removes the fingerprint.

se

SY said:
It could also be that what you've got is very thin gold flashing, rather than a nice, hard electroplate.

Yeah, a gold flash directly on the brass with no nickel barrier plating could give similar results I suppose. If that's the case, they're beyond cheap as even the cheap gold flashed stuff typically has a nickel barrier plating. And the "direct" gold plated stuff usually uses a gold/cobalt "hard gold" alloy.

se

There is a commercial product named GoldShine that does miracle to these connectors. It is designed to clean fingerprints from rings and earrings.

On a side note, I often used a product called Silvario to thoroughly clean and add a thin coat of conductive silver to the connectors. The only problem with this product is that you need to reapply a coat every time you mess with the connection.

Both products should be available in your local jewelery store.

Hope this help.
Sébastien

li_gangyi said:
you have copper saucepans over there?? Kinda cool~!! We only have stainless steel here...haven tried vinegar and salt...might do it one dae when I help my Momma clean her pots..

Yeah, they're old copper-bottom RevereWare saucepans. The new ones have the copper sandwiched between stainless steel so there's no exposed copper. But I still like my old copper-bottom pans.

se

Bricolo said:
Thanks Steeve!

I tryed the vinegar+salt. It's better now.
The fingerprints aren't totally gone, but it's far better

The best stuff for cleaning and treating connectors I ever used is Caig Laboratories R5 Deoxit and G5S ProGold.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If your connectors are at least a few months old treating them with either one of those is like getting a new piece of gear. The change is not subtle, especially on non-gold plated connectors.

Caig has a whole line of cleaners and treaters. Not that expensive- about $10.00 / 200ml. can. Worth every penny.

If you really want to find out if something is gold there is a sure fire test but it destroys the gold in the process but is conclusive. The only thing that dissolves gold is "Aqua Regia" - a mixture of Hydrochloric acid and concentrated nitric acid in a 3 : 1 ratio

Dip or paint some AR onto your gold and if it dissappears it is real. This test was use in field by the gold buyers during the gold rushes in history to prove the real stuff. If you what to know if the article is genuine and are prepared to sacrifice one connector it is the way to do it. Where rubber gloves and goggles ;)

David L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.