Lowest noise BJT transistor? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lowest noise BJT transistor?

Which are the lowest noise BJT transistors, both NPN and PNP, which are in current production, regardless of price?
Old 29th October 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Joshua,

Are you interested in voltage noise, current noise or both? If the source impedance is extremely low you would normally be interested in voltage noise, if it is not, you would normally be interested in both.

Best regards,
Marcel
Old 29th October 2012, 11:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in both, but especially in voltage noise.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My favourites are 2SC2545/2SC2546/2SC2547 and their PNP complements (2SA1085 or something, I don't remember the exact type number). SSM2210/SSM2220 (cheap version of MAT02 and its complement) are also pretty good. I don't know if any of them are still in production, or maybe in production with a different package and a different type number.

For extremely low voltage noise, the Philips/NXP BFW16A used to be a good choice because of its low base resistance, but it is out of production. You could try a more modern low-noise wideband transistor, such as the BFU760F (RB=3.32 ohm according to its Spice model). It will be difficult to keep it stable due to its high transition frequency.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:58 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Again as in the other zener thread, for low numbers parallel devices.

rgds, sreten.
Old 30th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #6
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Does the BFU760F have a complement...??
Old 30th October 2012, 11:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiB View Post
Does the BFU760F have a complement...??
None that I know about.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:24 AM   #8
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

2SA 872A (Hitachi)!.....this is the pnp version. Noise is specified between 2-5 dB maximum! I'm no expert, but perhaps someone else could through some light on this.
Old 10th December 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleman View Post
2SA 872A (Hitachi)!.....this is the pnp version. Noise is specified between 2-5 dB maximum! I'm no expert, but perhaps someone else could through some light on this.
According to the last graph in the datasheet, the optimal noise figure is 2 dB related to 190 ohm at 1 mA collector current, 1 kHz. The noise contribution of the transistor is then equivalent to (10^(2/10)-1)*190 ohm ~= 111.1297 ohm. About 13 ohm of this is collector shot noise translated back to the input (half of kT/(qIc)). As 1 mA is the optimum according to the graph, the contribution of base shot noise must be roughly the same. That leaves some 85 ohm for base resistance thermal noise.

85 ohm is not bad at all for a discrete low-frequency transistor, but not exceptionally good either.
Old 11th December 2012, 04:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Marcel,

Interesting thread ... would you happen to have advices on current production low-noise complementary BJT's? I searched for the 2SC2545 on Mouser's pages but it doesn't appear to be in their catalog ... In my context can be low voltage/current/high fT as well.

Best regards,

Jesper

P.S.: is it correctly understood that the BFU760F only accepts 2.8 VDC between collector and emitter?

Last edited by gentlevoice; 11th December 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!