Tellurium cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I need a pair of quite long speakers cable, 5 meters each. I've red amzing opinions on Tellurium Q Black cable, but it costs really too much. The minor brother, Tellurium Blue, seems to be interesting too, at less than half the price.

Does anybody use this cable?

Thanks to all

Ziocalepino

Tellurium is a semiconductor, so not the best choice for making cables!

However, assuming that these cables merely have a silly name rather than a silly substance I had a quick look on their website. No meaningful technical details, apart from a couple of graphs which suggest low capacitance (which might have a minor effect on treble) and woffle about improving bass. Their 'test' involves sending a 1us pulse, which seems a bit unrealistic for an audio speaker cable. The graphs seem to show the normal exponential response of a CR first order filter, but they don't say what R they used. I assume they hope to impress people who don't understand what they are looking at.

See the Tellurium Q Effect.

A very technical and interesting answer. I'm not embarrassed to say I'm a beginner on audio cable and surely I've not your expertness. So why don't ask directly to you? Have you some suggestion on brands / models to buy something valid without spend lot of money for nothing? Consider I have single end tubes amplifer with 300B and Lowther PM6C mounted on Acousta 116 cabinets, if these data can interest on the cable choice.

Thanks!

I'm afraid I am one of those people who attaches little significance to cables, apart from normal engineering issues, so I am not the best one to give you advice.

It was interesting to see their choice of low capacitance. Most fancy speaker cables are low inductance, which often means high capacitance. They can't both be right, except in the case that such things are irrelevant. Low resistance is the main thing.

Well, even if I agree that cables are often too much considered as fondamental part of components, I think there are differences. The problem is to find a product "honest" and quite cheap. Common red/black wires are surely worst than 1.000 euros per meter cable, but this is totally madness. I've bought Xindak entry level cables, 85 euros for a pair, 2,5 meters. I'm happy with this cables and I do not need nothing else but I must shift amplifer from the original position so I need longer cables. From here my question: is there any product fine, cheap, whose purchase has a sense?

Depending on the speakers and amp, solid core magnet wire can do an amazing job.

Interesting isn't it, (and I am not knocking you at all!) how one has to apologise for simple low resistance conductors as being "amazing"!

Such is the reach of cable marketing of snake-oil. I use standard UK 30A mains cable for loudspeakers (2.5^2mm?). Looks rubbish so sometimes I hide it.

The "technical" last section of that Tellurium data sheet is pure Monty Python.

What do you do with the earth wire? Ignoring it gives the lowest capacitance. Paralleling it with one of the others gives the lowest resistance and inductance. I'm sure you have carefully checked which sounds best :cool:.

My cable? I will get laughed off the forum for this, but I think it is just cheap 79-strand bought from Maplin, with PVC insulation. It might not even be 79, but something smaller. I can't remember.

Last edited:
for really long cable runs

John Allen is a Pro Sound Consultant with Movie Theater installation experience - he has some cable high frequency loss measurements - suggests "poor man's" star quad can be had at the local electrical supply warehouse: AWG 14-3 G or heavier house wiring is probably most available and should be fine for most home installations - his use of AWG 10-3 G was for 150' cable length (~ 45m)

diagonal opposite wires of the quad are connected electrically in parallel so resistance is 1/2 the single strand value

the geometric centers of the signal pairs (each diagonal pair) coincide and give large cancellation of loop inductance/m for a ~3-4x increase in C/m

http://www.hps4000.com/pages/spksamps/speaker_wire.pdf

other diy cable “formulas” involve “cat5” data cable – the smaller insulated strands reduce “skin effect”, depending on wiring pattern often they increase C hugely – and some amps really don’t like added cable parasitic C

Aren't those plots from LTSpice? They look familiar...

Yep, it triggered some vage recognition with me as well, thanks for making it explicit. It does not look at all like any picture from a digital holding scope I have ever seen, and that is what you would want to measure this. Looks too neat for real measurements, so might indeed be a sim. We need consumer protection police.

Dear Ziocalepino, please don't waste your money on these BS-artists, buy some nice music instead.

vac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.